Female Labor Participation and the Allocation of Household Expenditure. Evidence on Spanish Data
AbstractWe study the influence of the female labor participation in the household expenditure allocation, considering the joint decision between consumption and leisure. The theoretical framework is a collective model in which the agents are the man and the woman and it is assumed that the result of their decisions is Pareto-efficient. The change in expenditure-elasticities depending on the female labor participation allows us to classify goods as complements (substitutes) of the woman's leisure if the elasticity is lower (higher) if the woman works than if she does not work. The sign of the effect of individual labor incomes on consumption allows us to classify goods in two spheres: the masculine sphere if the power of the man increases the consumption of the good and the feminine sphere in the contrary case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Microeconomics with number 0302004.
Date of creation: 16 Feb 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - PDF; prepared on TeX; to print on HP/PostScript/Franciscan monk
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://126.96.36.199
collective model; female participation; leisure complements; leidure substitutes;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Laura Crespo, 2005. "Estimation And Testing Of Household Labour Supply Models: Evidence From Spain," Working Papers. Serie AD 2005-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Chiappori, Pierre-André & Donni, Olivier, 2006.
"Les modèles non unitaires de comportement du ménage : un survol de la littérature,"
Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 82(1), pages 9-52, mars-juin.
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Olivier Donni, 2004. "Les modèles non-unitaires de comportement du ménage: un survol de la littérature," Cahiers de recherche 0426, CIRPEE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.