The Theory And Measurement Of Cash Payments; A Case Study Of The Netherlands
AbstractOne of the more intractable problems in the area of monetary economics is the measurement of cash payments. Whereas the stock of currency in circulation [C] is well defined and readily measured, the transactions velocity of currency [Vc] (the average number of times currency turns over in any given period) is difficult to measure. This paper examines alternative methods for estimating the average velocity of currency and the denomination specific velocity of cash employing data for the Netherlands. Estimates of the volume of cash payments are necessary to meaningfully measure the volume of total payments [MV] in an economy and hence, the total volume of transactions [PT]. Once the volume of cash payments is known, it is possible to employ Fisher’s equation of exchange [MV=PT] as a more general conceptual and empirical alternative to Keynes’ more limited income-expenditure [Y= C+I+G] identity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 0501025.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 20 Jan 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 32
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
Cash payments; Velocity of currency; Equation of exchange; total transactions; underground economy.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E1 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models
- E4 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates
- E5 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit
- B4 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2005-01-23 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2005-01-23 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2005-01-23 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feige, Edgar L., 1985. "The Swedish Payments System and the Underground Economy," Working Paper Series 153, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2004. "How Big IS the Irregular Economy?," Macroeconomics 0404005, EconWPA.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2001.
"Taxation for the 21st Century: The Automated Payment Transaction (APT) Tax,"
- Edgar L. Feige, 2000. "Taxation for the 21st century: the automated payment transaction (APT) tax," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 15(31), pages 473-511, October.
- Isaac Mbiti & David N. Weil, 2011.
"Mobile Banking: The Impact of M-Pesa in Kenya,"
2011-13, Brown University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.