Management of Core Capabilities in Mexican and European Banks
AbstractThis research considers the way in chinc banks have altered their strategies as regulatory change (ie deregulation) and information technology (IT) innovations created more opportunities for service delivery and extended the range of potential competitors and forms of competition. These external changes provided new diversification and growth opportunities but also modified prior expectations about the way managers defined and controlled their bank's core capabilities in pursuing current and potential business. The main research instrument used was a one hour, semi-structured interview; and in total 55 managers of commercial banks, investment banks, management consulting firns and regulators from Mexico, Spain, and the UK participated. Qualitative and quantitative analysis established that the great majority of banks responded to changes in growth opportunities through diversification moves but with no clear link to core capabilities. IT management played a secondary role in the design of bank strategy but at the same time, IT applications were perceived as an important force to modify competition in bank markets by supporting radical re-engineering of service delivery in ways that undermined previous advantagees of scale and scope.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Industrial Organization with number 0211014.
Length: 12 pages
Date of creation: 10 Nov 2002
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; to print on HP/PostScript/Franciscan monk; pages: 12
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
Banks; competition; IT innovation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L - Industrial Organization
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Canals, Jordi, 1994. "Competitive Strategies in European Banking," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198773504.
- Benston, George J & Smith, Clifford W, Jr, 1976. "A Transactions Cost Approach to the Theory of Financial Intermediation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 215-31, May.
- Gilbert, R Alton, 1984. "Bank Market Structure and Competition: A Survey," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 617-44, November.
- Baltensperger, Ernst, 1980. "Alternative approaches to the theory of the banking firm," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-37, January.
- Bernardo Batiz-Lazo & Kassa Woldesenbet, 2006.
"The dynamics of product and process innovations in UK banking,"
International Journal of Financial Services Management,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(4), pages 400-421.
- Bernardo Batiz-Lazo & Kassa Wondelsebet, 2004. "The Dynamics of Product and Process Innovation in UK Banking," Industrial Organization 0405001, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.