Sequential International Joint-Ventures and the Option to Choose
AbstractThe purpose of this study is to formalize the optimal choice of market entry strategy for an individual multinational enterprise (MNE) from a dynamic perspective. It is argued that incorporating a suitable treatment of irreversibility, uncertainty and flexibility related to a MNEs investment decision gives further insights to the expansion, dissolvement, and optimal timing of international joint ventures (IJVs). The evolutionary process of the value of the foreign direct investment can be interpreted as a compound complex chooser option. The results suggest that uncertainty, size of equity share and future investment/divestment opportunities play an important role when it comes to transit from export to the first phase of the foreign direct investment commitment. The paper underscores the importance of modeling the dynamics of market entry and helps to refine the application of real options in the alliance context by providing a closed-form solution in continuous time to value
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series International Finance with number 0504007.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 21 Apr 2005
Date of revision: 15 Nov 2005
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 36
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Foreign direct investment; multinational enterprise; sequential investments; entry mode; international joint venture; real options;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- P31 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Socialist Enterprises and Their Transitions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-24 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998.
"Technology Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
268, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Sjoholm, Fredrik, 1999. "Technology transfer and spillovers: Does local participation with multinationals matter?1," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 915-923, April.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Fredrik Sjoholm, 1998. "Technology Transfer and Spillovers? Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?," NBER Working Papers 6816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998. "Technology, Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation With Multinationals Matter?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J Michael Geringer & Louis Hebert, 1991. "Measuring Performance of International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(2), pages 249-263, June.
- Balakrishnan, Srinivasan & Koza, Mitchell P., 1993. "Information asymmetry, adverse selection and joint-ventures : Theory and evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 99-117, January.
- Tailan Chi & Donald J McGuire, 1996. "Collaborative Ventures and Value of Learning: Integrating the Transaction Cost and Strategic Option Perspectives on the Choice of Market Entry Modes," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(2), pages 285-307, June.
- Gatignon, Hubert & Anderson, Erin, 1988. "The Multinational Corporation's Degree of Control over Foreign Subsidiaries: An Empirical Test of a Transaction Cost Explanation," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 305-36, Fall.
- Geske, Robert, 1979. "The valuation of compound options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 63-81, March.
- Gilroy, Bernard Michael & Lukas, Elmar, 2005.
"The Choice between Greenfield Investment and Cross-border Acquisition: A Real Option Approach,"
18819, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gilroy, Bernard Michael & Lukas, Elmar, 2006. "The choice between greenfield investment and cross-border acquisition: A real option approach," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 447-465, July.
- Peter J Buckley & Mark Casson, 1996. "An Economic Model of International Joint Venture Strategy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 849-876, December.
- Henisz, Witold J, 2000. "The Institutional Environment for Multinational Investment," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 334-64, October.
- McCarthy, Daniel J. & Puffer, Sheila M., 1997. "Strategic investment flexibility for MNE success in Russia: Evolving beyond entry modes," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 293-319, January.
- McDonald, Robert & Siegel, Daniel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-27, November.
- Sarianna Lundan & John Hagedoorn, 2001. "Alliances, Acquisitions and Multinational Advantage," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 229-242.
- Peter J Buckley & Mark Casson, 1996. "An Economic Model of International Joint Venture Strategy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(5), pages 849-876, December.
- Pennings, Enrico & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 2000. "The Choice and Timing of Foreign Market Entry under Uncertainty," CEPR Discussion Papers 2470, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Clark, Ephraim, 1997. "Valuing political risk," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 477-490, June.
- Veugelers, Reinhilde & Kesteloot, Katrien, 1994. "On the design of stable joint ventures," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(9), pages 1799-1815, December.
- Andersson, Thomas & Svensson, Roger, 1994. " Entry Modes for Direct Investment Determined by the Composition of Firm-Specific Skills," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(4), pages 551-60.
- Paul W Beamish & John C Banks, 1987. "Equity Joint Ventures and Theory of the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(2), pages 1-16, June.
- Sophia Dimelis & Helen Louri, 2002. "Foreign ownership and production efficiency: a quantile regression analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(3), pages 449-469, July.
- Kogut, Bruce, 1989. "The Stability of Joint Ventures: Reciprocity and Competitive Rivalry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(2), pages 183-98, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.