Does Governance Matter?Some Evidence from Indian States
AbstractThis paper attempts to propose a methodology to combine different dimensions of governance indicators into a composite index. The governance index is computed as the weighted average of principal components of the standardized governance indicators, where weights are variances of successive principal components. Since the notion of good governance is multi-dimensional, it is conceptualised as a goal and as a process that accelerates growth, equity and human development potential. We therefore estimate the governance index on the basis of five indicators, such as crime rates, riots, industrial disputes and strikes, Gini index, and debt-income ratio. Then we propose to explore whether the quality of governance determines development outcomes such as life expectancy, literacy, infant mortality rate and per capita income (logarithms of), within the panel data model framework. The evidence from 16 major Indian states (from state/regional level) strongly suggests that better quality of governance leads to better development outcomes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Development and Comp Systems with number 0509008.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 08 Sep 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 38 . pdf format
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Governance; Development; Index; Panel Data;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- N4 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-09-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2005-09-17 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-GEO-2005-09-17 (Economic Geography)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gupta, Eshita, 2008. "Oil vulnerability index of oil-importing countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 1195-1211, March.
- Sudip Ranjan Basu, 2004.
"Economic Growth, Well-Being and Governance under Economic Reforms: Evidence from Indian States,"
IHEID Working Papers
05-2004, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Sudip Ranjan Basu, 2005. "Economic Growth, Well-Being and Governance under Economic Reforms: Evidence from Indian States," Development and Comp Systems 0509007, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.