Multiple Criteria Land Use Analysis
AbstractSince the early 1980's, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) have been collaborating on expanding FAOs Agro-Ecological Zones (AEZ) Methodology of land resources appraisal by incorporating decision support tools for optimizing the use of land resources. Initially these tools consisted in the application of linear optimization techniques for analyzing land-use scenarios with regard to single objective functions, such as maximizing agricultural production or minimizing the cost of production under specific physical environmental and socio-economic conditions and constraints. Often the specification of a single objective function does not adequately reflect the preferences of decision-makers, which are of a multi-objective nature in many practical problems dealing with resources. Multi-objective optimization approaches address problem definitions and solutions in a more realistic way and have recently been applied by FAO and IIASA in a land resources appraisal study in Kenya. In this study, multi-objective optimization coupled with multi-criteria decision analysis (MCDA) techniques, using the Aspiration Reservation Based Decision Support (ARBDS) approach, have been used to analyze various land use scenarios, considering simultaneously several objectives such as maximizing revenues from crop and livestock production, maximizing district self-reliance in agricultural production, minimizing costs of production and environmental damages from erosion. The main users of the new tool being developed, which combines AEZ and MCDA, are expected to be natural resources analysts and managers, land-use planners, ecologists, environmentalists, economists at national and regional levels, and agricultural extensionists at the local scale.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in its series Working Papers with number wp96006.
Date of creation: Jan 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: A-2361 Laxenburg
Web page: http://www.iiasa.ac.at/Publications/Catalog/PUB_ONLINE.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Korhonen, Pekka & Moskowitz, Herbert & Wallenius, Jyrki, 1992. "Multiple criteria decision support - A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 361-375, December.
- P. Korhonen, 1998. "Multiple Objective Programming Support," Working Papers ir98010, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Gardiner, Lorraine R. & Steuer, Ralph E., 1994. "Unified interactive multiple objective programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 391-406, May.
- J. Granat & M. Makowski, 1995. "SAP- Modular Tool for Specification and Analysis of User Preferences in Multiple-Criteria Model Analysis," Working Papers wp95073, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Stewart, TJ, 1992. "A critical survey on the status of multiple criteria decision making theory and practice," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 20(5-6), pages 569-586.
- M. Makowski, 1994. "Methodology and a Modular Tool for Multiple Criteria Analysis of LP Models," Working Papers wp94102, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- G. Fischer & J. Granat & M. Makowski, 1998. "AEZWIN An Interactive Multiple-Criteria Analysis Tool for Land Resources Appraisal," Working Papers ir98051, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- J. Granat & M. Makowski, 1998. "ISAAP - Interactive Specification and Analysis of Aspiration-Based Preferences," Working Papers ir98052, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Zucaro, Raffaella & Rago, C. & Vollaro, Michele, 2012. "Valutazione tecnico-economica delle potenzialità di riutilizzo irriguo dei reflui depurati: il caso della Valpadana," Congress Papers 124115, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
- Sakiusa Tubuna & Henry Haszler & Phillip Hone & Waiski Gonemaituba, 2006. "Policy Responses to Threats to Rural Household Incomes: the Case of Fiji," Economics Series 2006_03, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Prato, Tony & Herath, Gamini, 2007. "Multiple-criteria decision analysis for integrated catchment management," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2-3), pages 627-632, August.
- Keyzer, Michiel A. & Voortman, Roelf L., 1998. "Research needs and methods for decentralised economic planning," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 351-366, November.
- A.P. Wierzbicki, 1998. "Reference Point Methods in Vector Optimization and Decision Support," Working Papers ir98017, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Prato, Tony, 1999. "Multiple attribute decision analysis for ecosystem management," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 207-222, August.
- Tony Prato & Gamini Herath, 2006. "Multiple-Criteria Decision Analysis for Integrated Catchment Management," Economics Series 2006_30, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.