Explaining the distribution of manufacturing productivity in the EU regions
AbstractRegional inequalities in product per capita and labour productivity in the EU are large and persistent. Building on a model in which aggregate increasing returns is the result of the increase in the number of varieties of composite services, under competitive manufactures, we derive a simple and empirically tractable reduced form linking manufacturing productivity growth to the growth of manufacturing output. This specification is used to simulate the equilibrium distribution of labour productivity in the EU regions, that is compared with "virtual" distributions obtained by equalizing, for instance, the amount of returns to scale and the stock of human capital across regions. This way, the impact of some growth determinants on the whole EU regional equilibrium distribution can be assessed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa03p197.
Date of creation: Aug 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fingleton, Bernard & Longhi, Simonetta, 2011.
"The effects of agglomeration on wages: evidence from the micro-level,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2011-35, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Fingleton, Bernard & Longhi, Simonetta, 2011. "The effects of agglomeration on wages: evidence from the micro-level," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-57, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Bernard Fingleton & Simonetta Longhi, 2011. "The Effects of Agglomeration on Wages: Evidence from the Micro-Level," SERC Discussion Papers 0081, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Bernard Fingleton & Simonetta Longhi, 2011. "The effects of agglomeration on wages: evidence from the micro-level," Working Papers 1124, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Julie Le Gallo & Coro Chasco-Yrigoyen, 2006.
"Spatial Analysis of Urban Growth in Spain (1900-2001),"
ERSA conference papers
ersa06p878, European Regional Science Association.
- Julie Gallo & Coro Chasco, 2008. "Spatial analysis of urban growth in Spain, 1900–2001," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 59-80, February.
- Roberto Ezcurra & Carlos Gil & Pedro Pascual & Manuel Rapun, 2005. "Regional inequality in the European Union: Does industry mix matter?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(6), pages 679-697.
- Panos Fousekis, 2007. "Growth determinants, intra-distribution mobility, and convergence of state-level agricultural productivity in the USA," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 54(1), pages 129-147, March.
- Eckey, Hans-Friedrich & Türck, Matthias, 2007. "Convergence of EU-Regions. A Literature Report," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 10, pages 5-32.
- Maza, Adolfo & Villaverde, José, 2008. "The world per capita electricity consumption distribution: Signs of convergence?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4255-4261, November.
- Fousekis, Panos, 2007. "Convergence of Relative State-level Per Capita Incomes in the United States Revisited," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 37(2).
- Azomahou, Théophile T. & Diene, Mbaye, 2012. "Polarization patterns in economic development and innovation," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 421-436.
- Fousekis, Panos, 2009. "International Consumption Patterns for Proteins and Fats: Intra-distributional Mobility and the Role of Income Elasticity," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(1), January.
- Azomahou, Theophile & Diene, Mbaye, 2012. "Income polarization and innovation: Evidence from African economies," MERIT Working Papers 048, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Roberto Ezcurra & Pedro Pascual & Manuel Rapún, 2007. "Spatial disparities in the European Union: an analysis of regional polarization," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 401-429, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.