The spatial aspects of development in south-eastern Europe
AbstractThis paper analyses for the first time the spatial structure of south-eastern Europe in an effort to assess regional imbalances, border conditions, urban hierarchies and detect the adjustments of the region to the forces of integration and transition. The analysis is based on a unique data base compiled from national sources and is carried on with the use of statistical, diagrammatic and cartographic methods. The analysis shows that south-eastern Europe is characterized by increasing regional disparities, an increasingly superior performance of the metropolitan regions, serious discontinuities at the borders which have, in most cases, generated over-time border regions with below average performance and finally an urban system with serious deficiencies in medium sized cities. These findings suggest that regional policy should become a permanent ingredient of indigenous and international development initiatives, which need to pay a greater attention to the needs of border regions, encouraging and promoting programs and policies of cross-border cooperation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa02p139.
Date of creation: Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Petrakos, 2002. "The Balkans in the New European Economic Space: Problems of Adjustment and Policies of Development," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(4), pages 6-30, July.
- Petrakos, G. & Caraveli, H. & Mardakis, P., 1999.
"Recent Developments in the Greek System of Urban Centres,"
DEOS Working Papers
104, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- George Petrakos & Prodromos Mardakis & Helen Caraveli, 2000. "Recent developments in the Greek system of urban centres," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 27(2), pages 169-181, March.
- Petrakos, G. & Caraveli, H. & Mardakis, P., 1999. "Recent Developments in the Greek System of Urban Centres," Athens University of Economics and Business 104, Athens University of Economics and Business, Department of International and European Economic Studies.
- George Petrakos, 2000. "Economic structure and change in the Balkan region: implications for integration, transition and economic cooperation," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 95-113, 03.
- George C. Petrakos, 1996. "The Regional Dimension of Transition in Central and East European Countries: An Assessment," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 34(5), pages 5-38, October.
- Anna Iara & Iulia Traistaru, 2004. "Integration, Regional Specialization and Growth Differentials in EU Acceding Countries: Evidence from Hungary," ERSA conference papers ersa04p298, European Regional Science Association.
- Stoyan Totev, 2006. "Comparative Analysis of the Processes of Regional Specialization and Concentration in EU," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 1, pages 67-89.
- Paschalis ARVANITIDIS & George PETRAKOS, 2008. "Metropolitan Development And Cooperation In South-Eastern Europe," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 27, pages 133-159.
- Dimitris Kallioras & George Petrakos & Georgios Fotopoulos, 2005. "Economic integration, regional structural change and cohesion in the EU new member-states," ERSA conference papers ersa05p383, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.