articles: Regional inequalities in Greece
AbstractThis article examines regional inequalities in Greece, on the basis of $\sigma$-convergence and $\beta$-convergence analysis and shows that they were reduced in the 1970s and the 1980s. Regression analysis indicates that regional inequalities have a pro-cyclical character, increasing in periods of economic expansion and decreasing in periods of economic recession. It also indicates that the structure of local industry, the process of EU integration, the quality of human capital and the existence of resources suitable for the development of tourism are among the factors affecting regional growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Papers in Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 79 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/10110/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Stella Karoulia & Eleni Gaki, 2013. "The impact of economic crisis on Greek regions and the importance of regional resilience," ERSA conference papers ersa13p1015, European Regional Science Association.
- Metaxas, Theodore, 2008. "Τοπική Οικονομκή Ανάπτυξη, Ιδιαίτερα Χαρακτηριστικά Πόλεων, Πολιτικές Ανάπτυξης Και Ανταγωνιστικότητα Επιχ," MPRA Paper 41609, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eric Strobl, & Salvador Barrios, 2006.
"The dynamics of regional inequalities,"
- Martí, Luisa & Puertas, Rosa & Fernández, J. Ismael, 2011. "Industrial productivity and convergence in Chinese regions: The effects of entering the world trade organisation," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 128-141, April.
- Stefano Magrini & Margherita Gerolimetto & Hasan Engin Duran, 2011. "Distortions in Cross-Sectional Convergence Analysis when the Aggregate Business Cycle is Incomplete," Working Papers 2011_07, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Mark V. JANIKAS & Sergio J. REY, 2005. "Spatial Clustering, Inequality And Income Convergence," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 21, pages 45-64.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.