How is the liberalization of food markets progressing ? market integration and transaction costs in subsistence economies
AbstractThe paper proposes a modification of Baulch's parity bounds model to measure the market integration of food markets in developing countries. Instead of extrapolating a single observation of transaction costs, it estimates transaction costs. Predicted transaction costs compare well with survey data of traders. Probabilities of market regimes, computed on the basis of predicted transaction costs, fluctuate significantly and do not support fixed regime probabilities over time. The probability of market integration with trade decreases consistently during food shortages, increasing either the probability of no trade or loss-making trade or the probability of profitable but unexploited trade opportunities. The data support a negative trend in market integration with trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 6331.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Markets and Market Access; Transport Economics Policy&Planning; Debt Markets; Economic Theory&Research; Food&Beverage Industry;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-02-03 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2013-02-03 (International Trade)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christine Moser & Christopher Barrett & Bart Minten, 2009. "Spatial integration at multiple scales: rice markets in Madagascar," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(3), pages 281-294, 05.
- Kling, Catherine L. & Sexton, Richard & Carman, Hoy, 1991. "Market Integration, Efficiency of Arbitrage, and Imperfect Competition: Methodology and Application to U.S. Celery," Staff General Research Papers 1609, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Eleni Gabre-Madhin & Bart Minten, 2002.
"Increasing Returns and Market Efficiency in Agricultural Trade,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2002-18, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni & Minten, Bart, 2005. "Increasing returns and market efficiency in agricultural trade," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 406-442, December.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Minten, Bart, 2003. "Increasing returns and market efficiency in agricultural trade," MTID discussion papers 60, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Marcel Fafchamps & Eleni Gabre-Madhin, 2002. "Increasing Returns and Market Efficiency in Agricultural Trade," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2002-18, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Eleni Gabre-Madhin & Bart Minten, 2004. "Increasing Returns and Market Efficiency in Agricultural Trade," Development and Comp Systems 0409020, EconWPA.
- Jenny C. Aker, 2010. "Information from Markets Near and Far: Mobile Phones and Agricultural Markets in Niger," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 46-59, July.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Hill, 2004.
"Selling at the Farm-Gate or Travelling to Market,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2004-30, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Muleta, Asfaw Negassa & Myers, Robert J., 2007.
"AJAE Appendix: Estimating Policy Effects on Spatial Market Efficiency: An Extension to the Parity Bounds Model,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(2), May.
- Asfaw Negassa & Robert J. Myers, 2007. "Estimating Policy Effects on Spatial Market Efficiency: An Extension to the Parity Bounds Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 89(2), pages 338-352.
- Bob Baulch, 1997. "Testing for food market integration revisited," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 512-534.
- Bob Baulch, 1997. "Transfer Costs, Spatial Arbitrage, and Testing for Food Market Integration," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 477-487.
- Christopher B. Barrett & Jau Rong Li, 2002. "Distinguishing between Equilibrium and Integration in Spatial Price Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(2), pages 292-307.
- Smith, Lawrence D., 1995. "Malawi: reforming the state's role in agricultural marketing," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 561-571, December.
- Clemens Lutz & W. Erno Kuiper & Aad van Tilburg, 2007. "Maize Market Liberalisation in Benin: A Case of Hysteresis," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 16(1), pages 102-133, January.
- Muto, Megumi & Yamano, Takashi, 2009. "The Impact of Mobile Phone Coverage Expansion on Market Participation: Panel Data Evidence from Uganda," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 1887-1896, December.
- Emílio Tost�o & B. Wade Brorsen, 2005. "Spatial price efficiency in Mozambique's post-reform maize markets," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(2), pages 205-214, 09.
- McNew, Kevin & Fackler, Paul L., 1997. "Testing Market Equilibrium: Is Cointegration Informative?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.