The Impact of Mobile Phone Coverage Expansion on Market Participation: Panel Data Evidence from Uganda
AbstractSummary An increased information flow due to mobile phone network expansions is expected to reduce marketing costs of agricultural commodities. We investigate this using panel data of 856 Ugandan households in 94 communities, where the number of communities covered by mobile phone networks increased from 41 to 87 between surveys in 2003 and 2005, respectively. After the expansion of coverage, we find increased sales of banana in remote communities but not of maize. The mobile phone coverage expansion seems to induce the market participation of farmers in remote areas who produce perishable crops.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal World Development.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
information technology marketing panel data Uganda Africa;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smale, Melinda & Tushemereirwe, Wilbeforce K., 2007. "An economic assessment of banana genetic improvement and innovation in the Lake Victoria Region of Uganda and Tanzania:," Research reports 155, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Pender, John & Nkonya, Ephraim & Jagger, Pamela & Sserunkuuma, Dick & Ssali, Henry, 2004.
"Strategies to increase agricultural productivity and reduce land degradation: evidence from Uganda,"
Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 181-195, December.
- Pender, John L. & Nkonya, Ephraim M. & Jagger, Pamela & Sserunkuuma, Dick & Ssali, Henry, 2003. "Strategies To Increase Agricultural Productivity And Reduce Land Degradation: Evidence From Uganda," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25816, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bayes, Abdul, 2001. "Infrastructure and rural development: insights from a Grameen Bank village phone initiative in Bangladesh," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 25(2-3), pages 261-272, September.
- Robert Jensen, 2007. "The Digital Provide: Information (Technology), Market Performance, and Welfare in the South Indian Fisheries Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 122(3), pages 879-924, 08.
- Overa, Ragnhild, 2006. "Networks, distance, and trust: Telecommunications Development and changing trading practices in Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1301-1315, July.
- Jonathan Donner, 2004. "Microentrepreneurs and Mobiles: An Exploration of the Uses of Mobile Phones by Small Business Owners in Rwanda," Information Technologies and International Development, MIT Press, vol. 2(1), pages 1-21.
- Jensen, Robert T., 2009. "Information, Efficiency And Welfare In Agricultural Markets," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 53206, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tomoya Matsumoto & Takashi Yamano & Dick Sserunkuuma, 2013. "Technology Adoption and Dissemination in Agriculture: Evidence from Sequential Intervention in Maize Production in Uganda," GRIPS Discussion Papers 13-14, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Lee, Kyeong Ho & Bellemare, Marc F., 2012.
"Look who's talking: the impacts of the intrahousehold allocation of mobile phones on agricultural prices,"
38908, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kyeong Ho Lee & Marc F. Bellemare, 2013. "Look Who's Talking: The Impacts of the Intrahousehold Allocation of Mobile Phones on Agricultural Prices," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(5), pages 624-640, May.
- Surabhi Mittal & Sanjay Gandhi & Gaurav Tripathi, 2012.
"Socio-Economic Impact of Mobile Phones on Indian Agriculture,"
EABER Working Papers
23188, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Surabhi Mittal & Sanjay Gandhi & Gaurav Tripathi, 2010. "Socio-Economic Impact of Mobile Phones on Indian Agriculture," Development Economics Working Papers 23031, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Surabhi Mittal & Sanjay Gandhi & Gaurav Tripathi, 2010. "Socio-Economic Impact of Mobile Phones on Indian Agriculture," Working Papers id:2443, eSocialSciences.
- Surabhi Mittal & Sanjay Gandhi & Gaurav Tripathi, 2012. "Socio-Economic Impact of Mobile Phones on Indian Agriculture," Development Economics Working Papers 23188, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Wouter Zant, 2012. "How does Market Access affect Smallholder Behavior? The Case of Tobacco Marketing in Malawi," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-088/V, Tinbergen Institute.
- Nakasone, Eduardo, 2013. "The Role of Price Information in Agricultural Markets: Experimental Evidence from Rural Peru," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150418, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- PENARD Thierry & POUSSING Nicolas & ZOMO YEBE Gabriel & NSI ELLA Philémon, 2012. "Usage d'Internet et du téléphone mobile en Afrique : une comparaison des déterminants d'adoption sur données gabonaises," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2012-15, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Graham, Carol & Nikolova, Milena, 2013. "Does access to information technology make people happier? Insights from well-being surveys from around the world," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 126-139.
- Jonathan Donner & Marcela X. Escobari, 2010. "A review of evidence on mobile use by micro and small enterprises in developing countries," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(5), pages 641-658.
- Mittal, Surabhi & Mehar, Mamta, 0. "How Mobile Phones Contribute to Growth of Small Farmers? Evidence from India," Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, vol. 51.
- Zant, Wouter, 2013. "How is the liberalization of food markets progressing ? market integration and transaction costs in subsistence economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6331, The World Bank.
- Tomoya Matsumoto, 2013. "Disseminating New Farming Practices among Small Scale Farmers: An Experimental Intervention in Uganda," GRIPS Discussion Papers 13-18, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Haggblade, Steven & Boughton, Duncan, 2013. "A Strategic Agricultural Sector and Food Security Diagnostic for Burma," Food Security International Development Working Papers 161372, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Shinyekwa, Isaac, 2012. "A Scoping Study of the Mobile Telecommunications Industry in Uganda," Research Series 148958, Economic Policy Research Centre (EPRC).
- Sanne Lise Blauw & Philip Hans Franses, 2011. "The Impact of Mobile Telephone Use on Economic Development of Households in Uganda," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-152/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Thierry Pénard & Nicolas Poussing & Gabriel Zomo Yebe & Philémon Nsi Ella, 2012.
"Comparing the Determinants of Internet and Cell Phone Use in Africa : Evidence from Gabon,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen)
201217, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Thierry PENARD & Nicolas POUSSING & Gabriel ZOMO YEBE & Philémon NSI ELLA, 2012. "Comparing the Determinants of Internet and Cell Phone Use in Africa: Evidence from Gabon," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 2(86), pages 65-83, 2nd quart.
- Kwadwo Asenso-Okyere & Daniel Ayalew Mekonnen, 2012. "The Importance of ICTs in the Provision of Information for Improving Agricultural Productivity and Rural Incomes in Africa," Working Papers 2012-015, United Nations Development Programme, Regional Bureau for Africa (UNDP/RBA).
- Jenny C. Aker & Marcel Fafchamps, 2013.
"Mobile Phone Coverage and Producer Markets: Evidence from West Africa,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2013-09, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Aker, Jenny & Fafchamps, Marcel, 2013. "Mobile Phone Coverage and Producer Markets: Evidence from West Africa," CEPR Discussion Papers 9491, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.