Geography and exporting behavior : evidence from India
AbstractThis paper examines locational factors that increase the odds of a firm's entry into export markets and affect the intensity of its participation. It differentiates between two different sources of spillovers: clustering of general economic activity and that of export-oriented activity. It also focuses on the effect of the business environment and that of institutions at the spatial unit of districts in India. The study disentangles the within-industry effect from the within-firm effect. A simple logit specification is used to model the probability of entry. The analysis is based on a panel of manufacturing firms in India, which allows for the introduction of firm-specific controls and a battery of fixed effects. The findings suggest that exporter-specific clustering, general economic agglomeration, and institutional factors affect firms'export behavior.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5979.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Microfinance; Transport Economics Policy&Planning; Water and Industry; Economic Theory&Research; E-Business;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2012-03-21 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INT-2012-03-21 (International Trade)
- NEP-URE-2012-03-21 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Alessandria & Horag Choi, 2007.
"Do Sunk Costs of Exporting Matter for Net Export Dynamics?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 122(1), pages 289-336, 02.
- George Alessandria & Horag Choi, 2005. "Do sunk costs of exporting matter for net export dynamics?," Working Papers 05-20, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Aitken, B. & Hanson, G.H. & Harrison, A.E., 1994.
"Spillovers, Foreign Investment and Export Behavior,"
95-06, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Hanson, Gordon H. & Harrison, Ann E., 1997. "Spillovers, foreign investment, and export behavior," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1-2), pages 103-132, August.
- Brian Aitken & Gordon H. Hanson & Ann E. Harrison, 1994. "Spillovers, Foreign Investment, and Export Behavior," NBER Working Papers 4967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Costas Arkolakis, 2010.
"Market Penetration Costs and the New Consumers Margin in International Trade,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 118(6), pages 1151 - 1199.
- Costas Arkolakis, 2008. "Market Penetration Costs and the New Consumers Margin in International Trade," NBER Working Papers 14214, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shepherd, Ben, 2007. "Product standards, harmonization, and trade : evidence from the extensive margin," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4390, The World Bank.
- Andreas Moxnes, 2010. "Are sunk costs in exporting country specific?," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(2), pages 467-493, May.
- Mahmut Yasar & Rafal Raciborski & Brian Poi, 2008. "Production function estimation in Stata using the Olley and Pakes method," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 8(2), pages 221-231, June.
- Edward Feser & Edward Bergman, 2000. "National Industry Cluster Templates: A Framework for Applied Regional Cluster Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(1), pages 1-19.
- Enrique López-Bazo & Elisabet Motellón, 2013.
"“Firm exports, innovation, … and regions”,"
AQR Working Papers
201305, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group, revised May 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.