Upgrading investment regulations in second pillar pension systems : a proposal for Colombia
AbstractThe passivity of the demand for pension products is one of the striking features of mandatory pension systems. Consequently, the provision of multiple investment alternatives to households (multifund schemes) does not ensure that contributions are invested efficiently. In addition, despite the theoretical findings that short term return maximization is not conductive to long-term return maximization, the regulatory framework of pension fund management companies puts excessive emphasis on short-term maximization. Therefore, it is not obvious that typical regulatory framework of pension funds is conductive to optimal pensions. By establishing a set of default options on investment portfolios, this paper proposes a mechanism to align the incentives of the pension fund management companies with the long-term objectives of the contributors. The paper provides a methodology, which is subsequently applied to Colombia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 5775.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2011
Date of revision:
Debt Markets; Emerging Markets; Financial Literacy; Mutual Funds; Investment and Investment Climate;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alejandro Reveiz Herault & Carlos Eduardo León Rincón, 2008.
"Índice representativo del mercado de deuda pública interna: IDXTES,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
004522, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Alejandro Reveiz & Carlos Eduardo León Rincón, . "Índice representativo del mercado de deuda pública interna: IDXTES," Borradores de Economia 488, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Michael W. Brandt & Amit Goyal & Pedro Santa-Clara & Jonathan R. Stroud, 2005.
"A Simulation Approach to Dynamic Portfolio Choice with an Application to Learning About Return Predictability,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(3), pages 831-873.
- Michael W. Brandt & Amit Goyal & Pedro Santa-Clara & Jonathan Storud, 2004. "A Simulation Approach to Dynamic Portfolio Choice with an Application to Learning About Return Predictability," NBER Working Papers 10934, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell, 1993.
"Understanding Risk and Return,"
NBER Working Papers
4554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John, 1996. "Understanding Risk and Return," Scholarly Articles 3153293, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell, 1995. "Understanding Risk and Return," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1711, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Solange Berstein & Carolina Cabrita, 2006.
"Los Determinantes de la Elección de AFP en Chile: Nueva Evidencia a Partir de Datos Individuales,"
19, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Jul 2007.
- Solange Berstein Jáuregui & Carolina Cabrita Felix, 2007. "Los determinantes de la elección de AFP en Chile: nueva evidencia a partir de datos individuales," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 34(1 Year 20), pages 53-72, June.
- Jérome Detemple & Marcel Rindisbacher, 2010. "Dynamic Asset Allocation: Portfolio Decomposition Formula and Applications," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(1), pages 25-100, January.
- Suleyman Basak & Dmitry Makarov, 2009.
"Strategic Asset Allocation in Money Management,"
w0158, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- de Palma, André & Prigent, Jean-Luc, 2008. "Utilitarianism and fairness in portfolio positioning," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1648-1660, August.
- Jérôme B. Detemple & René Garcia & Marcel Rindisbacher, 2000.
"A Monte-Carlo Method for Optimal Portfolios,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Campbell, John Y. & Viceira, Luis M., 2002. "Strategic Asset Allocation: Portfolio Choice for Long-Term Investors," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296942.
- Munk, Claus & Sørensen, Carsten, 2010. "Dynamic asset allocation with stochastic income and interest rates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 433-462, June.
- Walker, Eduardo, 2008. "Strategic currency hedging and global portfolio investments upside down," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(6), pages 657-668, June.
- Blake, David & Lehmann, Bruce N & Timmermann, Allan, 1999. "Asset Allocation Dynamics and Pension Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(4), pages 429-61, October.
- Richard Hinz & Heinz P. Rudolph & Pablo Antolin & Juan Yermo, 2010. "Evaluating the Financial Performance of Pension Funds," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2405, March.
- JÃ©rˆme Detemple & Marcel Rindisbacher, 2005. "Closed-Form Solutions For Optimal Portfolio Selection With Stochastic Interest Rate And Investment Constraints," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 539-568.
- Heaton, John & Lucas, Deborah, 1997. "Market Frictions, Savings Behavior, And Portfolio Choice," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 76-101, January.
- Blake, David & Cairns, Andrew & Dowd, Kevin, 2008. "Turning pension plans into pension planes: What investment strategy designers of defined contribution pension plans can learn from commercial aircraft designers," MPRA Paper 33749, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Buraschi & Paolo Porchia & Fabio Trojani, 2010. "Correlation Risk and Optimal Portfolio Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(1), pages 393-420, 02.
- Detemple, Jérôme & Garcia, René & Rindisbacher, Marcel, 2005. "Intertemporal asset allocation: A comparison of methods," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(11), pages 2821-2848, November.
- Campbell, John, 2006.
3157877, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- João Cocco & Francisco Gomes & Pascal Maenhout, 1998. "Consumption and Portfolio Choice over the Life-Cycle," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces9805, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.