Correlation Risk and Optimal Portfolio Choice
AbstractWe develop a new framework for multivariate intertemporal portfolio choice that allows us to derive optimal portfolio implications for economies in which the degree of correlation across industries, countries, or asset classes is stochastic. Optimal portfolios include distinct hedging components against both stochastic volatility and correlation risk. We find that the hedging demand is typically larger than in univariate models, and it includes an economically significant covariance hedging component, which tends to increase with the persistence of variance-covariance shocks, the strength of leverage effects, the dimension of the investment opportunity set, and the presence of portfolio constraints. Copyright (c) 2009 the American Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 65 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (02)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Georgy Chabakauri, 2012. "Asset Pricing with Heterogeneous Investors and Portfolio Constraints," FMG Discussion Papers dp707, Financial Markets Group.
- Mark J. Jensen & John M. Maheu, 2012.
"Bayesian Semiparametric Multivariate GARCH Modeling,"
Working Paper Series
48_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Mark J Jensen & John M Maheu, 2012. "Bayesian semiparametric multivariate GARCH modeling," Working Papers tecipa-458, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Mark J. Jensen & John M. Maheu, 2012. "Bayesian semiparametric multivariate GARCH modeling," Working Paper 2012-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Mathias, Charles, 2012. "Disentangled correlations and the risk-return tradeoff," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/355996, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Suleyman Basak & Georgy Chabakauri, 2011.
"Dynamic Hedging in Incomplete Markets: A Simple Solution,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp680, Financial Markets Group.
- Suleyman Basak & Georgy Chabakauri, 2012. "Dynamic Hedging in Incomplete Markets: A Simple Solution," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 25(6), pages 1845-1896.
- Basak, Suleyman & Chabakauri, Georgy, 2011. "Dynamic Hedging in Incomplete Markets: A Simple Solution," CEPR Discussion Papers 8402, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Georgy chabakauri & Suleyman Basak, 2009. "Dynamic Hedging in Incomplete Markets: A Simple Solution," 2009 Meeting Papers 594, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Schürhoff, Norman & Ziegler, Alexandre, 2011. "Variance risk, financial intermediation, and the cross-section of expected option returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 8268, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan Baldeaux & Eckhard Platen, 2012. "Computing Functionals of Multidimensional Diffusions via Monte Carlo Methods," Papers 1204.1126, arXiv.org.
- Giovanni Calice & Christos Ioannidis & Julian Williams, 2011. "Credit Derivatives and the Default Risk of Large Complex Financial Institutions," CESifo Working Paper Series 3583, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Sufana, Razvan, 2011. "Discrete time Wishart term structure models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 815-824, June.
- Cheridito, Patrick & Filipovic, Damir & Kimmel, Robert L., 2006. "Affine Term Structure Models," Working Paper Series 2007-2, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Mayerhofer, Eberhard & Pfaffel, Oliver & Stelzer, Robert, 2011. "On strong solutions for positive definite jump diffusions," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 121(9), pages 2072-2086, September.
- Alessandro Gnoatto, 2012. "The Wishart short rate model," Papers 1203.5513, arXiv.org.
- Jun Ma, 2009. "A Stochastic Correlation Model with Mean Reversion for Pricing Multi-Asset Options," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 97-109, June.
- Paolo Guasoni & Scott Robertson, 2012. "Portfolios and risk premia for the long run," Papers 1203.1399, arXiv.org.
- Castaneda, Pablo & Rudolph, Heinz P., 2011. "Upgrading investment regulations in second pillar pension systems : a proposal for Colombia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5775, The World Bank.
- Jun Ma, 2009. "Pricing Foreign Equity Options with Stochastic Correlation and Volatility," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 10(2), pages 303-327, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.