Practical guidelines for effective bank resolution
AbstractThis study adopts a practical approach in developing a set of guidelines on designing a bank resolution framework and implementing efficient bank resolution methods in Latin America. It identifies six pillars that are useful for establishing a bank resolution framework. The study aims to guide policymakers choose from a set of bank resolution methods, by outlining their advantages and disadvantages and establishing efficiency requirements. The focus is on the good-bank/bad-bank approach, which is a type of purchase and assumption mechanism that has increasingly become part of the newer legal frameworks in Latin America. The good-bank/bad-bank approach is an effective bank resolution method because it can be very successful in meeting certain efficiency criteria, including the minimization of contagion costs and preservation of business.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4389.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2007
Date of revision:
Banks&Banking Reform; Access to Finance; Debt Markets; Bankruptcy and Resolution of Financial Distress;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2000.
"Does Deposit Insurance Increase Banking System Stability? An Empirical Investigation,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1751, Econometric Society.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2002. "Does deposit insurance increase banking system stability? An empirical investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1373-1406, October.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 1999. "Does deposit insurance increase banking system stability ? An empirical investigation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2247, The World Bank.
- Edward J. Kane & Asli Demirguc-Kunt, 2001.
"Deposit Insurance Around the Globe: Where Does it Work?,"
NBER Working Papers
8493, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Edward J. Kane, 2002. "Deposit Insurance Around the Globe: Where Does It Work?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(2), pages 175-195, Spring.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asl' & Kane, Edward J., 2001. "Depositinsurance around the globe : where does it work?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2679, The World Bank.
- De la Torre, Augusto, 2000. "Resolving bank failures in Argentina - recent developments and issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2295, The World Bank.
- Leslie Teo & Charles Enoch & Carl-Johan Lindgren & TomÃ¡s J. T. BaliÃ±o & Anne Marie Gulde & Marc Quintyn, 2000. "Financial Sector Crisis and Restructuring," IMF Occasional Papers 188, International Monetary Fund.
- Armen Hovakimian & Edward J. Kane & Luc Laeven, 2002.
"How Country and Safety-Net Characteristics Affect Bank Risk-Shifting,"
NBER Working Papers
9322, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Armen Hovakimian & Edward Kane & Luc Laeven, 2003. "How Country and Safety-Net Characteristics Affect Bank Risk-Shifting," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 177-204, June.
- Hovakimian, Armen & Kane, Edward J. & Laeven, Luc, 2002. "How Country and Safety-Net Characteristics Affect Bank Risk-Shifting," CEI Working Paper Series 2002-10, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Edward J. Kane, 2004.
"Deposit Insurance: Handle with Care,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Luis Antonio Ahumada & J. Rodrigo Fuentes & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking Market Structure and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 7, chapter 12, pages 345-358
Central Bank of Chile.
- Stephanou, Constantinos & Mendoza, Juan Carlos, 2005. "Credit risk measurement under Basel II : an overview and implementation issues for developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3556, The World Bank.
- Glenn Hoggarth & Jack Reidhill & Peter Sinclair, 2004. "On the resolution of banking crises: theory and evidence," Bank of England working papers 229, Bank of England.
- Beck, T.H.L., 2004.
"The incentive-compatible design of deposit insurance and bank failure resolution: Concepts and country studies,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3508405, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten, 2003. "The incentive-compatible design of deposit insurance and bank failure resolution : concepts and country studies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3043, The World Bank.
- Stijn Claessens & Daniela Klingebiel & Luc Laeven, 2001. "Financial Restructuring in Banking and Corporate Sector Crises: What Policies to Pursue?," NBER Working Papers 8386, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thorsten Beck & Samuel Munzele Maimbo & Issa Faye & Thouraya Triki, 2011.
"Financing Africa : Through the Crisis and Beyond,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 2355, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.