Credit risk measurement under Basel II : an overview and implementation issues for developing countries
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to provide an overview of the changes in the calculation of minimum regulatory capital requirements for credit risk that have been drafted by the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (Basel II). Even though the revised credit capital rules represent a dramatic change compared to Basel I, it is shown that Basel II merely seeks to codify (albeit incompletely) existing good practices in bank risk measurement. However, its effective implementation in many developing countries is hindered by fundamental weaknesses in financial infrastructure that will need to be addressed as a priority.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 3556.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Banks&Banking Reform; Banking Law; Insurance&Risk Mitigation; Financial Intermediation; Economic Theory&Research;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-12-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2005-12-14 (Development)
- NEP-FIN-2005-12-14 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2005-12-14 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-REG-2005-12-14 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Erol Muzir, 2013. "Impact of Placement Choices and Governance Issues on Credit Risk in Banking: Nonparametric Evidence from an Emerging Market," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 3(4), pages 6, August.
- Bolzico, Javier & Mascaro, Yira & Granata, Paola, 2007. "Practical guidelines for effective bank resolution," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4389, The World Bank.
- Alicia García-Herrero & Sergio Gavilá, 2006. "Posible impacto de Basilea II en los países emergentes," Banco de Espa�a Occasional Papers 0606, Banco de Espa�a.
- Durguner, Seda & Barry, Peter J. & Katchova, Ani L., 2006. "Credit Scoring Models: A Comparison between Crop and Livestock Farms," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21431, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Rodriguez, Analía, 2007. "Distribución de pérdidas de la cartera de créditos: el método unifactorial de Basilea II vs. estimaciones no paramétricas," MPRA Paper 12637, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jakub Seidler, 2008. "Implied Market Loss Given Default: structural-model approach," Working Papers IES, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies 2008/26, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Oct 2008.
- Rodríguez Dupuy, Analía, 2007. "Loan portfolio loss distribution: Basel II unifactorial approach vs. Non parametric estimations," MPRA Paper 10697, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.