Foreign direct investment in Latin America during the emergence of China and India : stylized facts
AbstractIn spite of the growing concerns about foreign direct investment being diverted from Latin America to China and India, the best available data show that Latin America has performed relatively well since 1997. Foreign capital stocks from OECD countries and the United States in particular in China and India are still far from those in the largest Latin American economies. The evidence shows that foreign capital stocks in China increased more than in Latin America during 1990-1997, but not as much since 1997. In fact, Latin America has actually performed better than China since 1997 given its lack of relative growth. The growth of foreign capital stocks in India was more stable than in China. Nonetheless, after controlling for shocks emanating from the source countries and bilateral distance between source and host countries, this paper finds a significant change in foreign capital stocks relative to China between 1990 and 1997, but no change relative to India.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 4360.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2007
Date of revision:
Debt Markets; Transport and Trade Logistics; Common Carriers Industry; Corporate Law;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2007-09-30 (China)
- NEP-DEV-2007-09-30 (Development)
- NEP-INT-2007-09-30 (International Trade)
- NEP-SEA-2007-09-30 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- De la Cruz Gallegos Jose Luis & Ivanova Boncheva Antonina & Ruiz-Porras Antonio, 2008.
"Competition between Latin America and China for US Direct Investment,"
Global Economy Journal,
De Gruyter, vol. 8(2), pages 1-22, June.
- De la Cruz Gallegos, Jose Luis & Ivanova Boncheva, Antonina & Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2008. "Competition between Latin America and China for US direct investment," MPRA Paper 8950, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel Lederman & Marcelo Olarreaga & Guillermo Perry, 2007. "Latin America´s response to China and India: overview of research findings and policy implications - Observatorio de Política," Revista de Economía y Estadística, Universidad Nacional de Córdoba, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Instituto de Economía y Finanzas, vol. 0(1), pages 149-193, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.