Competition between Latin America and China for US Direct Investment
AbstractThere is a belief that the Chinese economy competes with the Latin-American ones for investment flows. Here we analyze the determinants of the US FDI outflows to the most representative Latin-American economies. We develop such assessments with a double-procedure cointegration analysis based on the time-series methodologies of Toda and Yamamoto (1995) and Liu, Song and Romilly (1997). The results suggest that long-run investment to the Latin-American region mainly depends on the performance of the US economy. Furthermore, they suggest the existence of a substitution effect between the Latin American countries and China for US investment flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Global Economy Journal.
Volume (Year): 8 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
Other versions of this item:
- De la Cruz Gallegos, Jose Luis & Ivanova Boncheva, Antonina & Ruiz-Porras, Antonio, 2008. "Competition between Latin America and China for US direct investment," MPRA Paper 8950, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- F40 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - General
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Lora, 2005.
"Should Latin America Fear China?,"
Research Department Publications
4419, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Daniel Santabarbara & Alicia Garcia-Herrero, 2005.
"Does China have an impact on foreign direct investment to Latin America?,"
- Garcia-Herrero, Alicia & Santabarbara, Daniel, 2007. "Does China have an impact on foreign direct investment to Latin America?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 266-286.
- Alicia García-Herrero & Daniel Santabárbara, 2005. "Does China have an impact on foreign direct investment to Latin America?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0517, Banco de Espa�a.
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Daniel Santabarbara, 2005. "Does China have an impact on foreign direct investment to Latin America?," International Finance 0508010, EconWPA.
- Abugri, Benjamin A., 2008. "Empirical relationship between macroeconomic volatility and stock returns: Evidence from Latin American markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 396-410.
- Sims, Christopher A., 1992.
"Interpreting the macroeconomic time series facts : The effects of monetary policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 975-1000, June.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1992. "Interpreting the Macroeconomic Time Series Facts: The Effects of Monetary Policy," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1011, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chandana Chakraborty & Parantap Basu, 2002. "Foreign direct investment and growth in India: a cointegration approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(9), pages 1061-1073.
- A. Hatemi-J, 2003. "A new method to choose optimal lag order in stable and unstable VAR models," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 135-137.
- Peter K. Schott, 2006. "The relative revealed competitiveness of China's exports to the United States vis a vis other countries in Asia, the Caribbean, Latin America and the OECD," INTAL Working Papers 1285, Inter-American Development Bank, INTAL.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Tong, Hui, 2007.
"Is China's FDI coming at the expense of other countries?,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 153-172, June.
- Barry Eichengreen & Hui Tong, 2005. "Is China's FDI Coming at the Expense of Other Countries?," NBER Working Papers 11335, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Quintos, Carmela E., 1998. "Stability tests in error correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 289-315, February.
- Cravino, Javier & Lederman, Daniel & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2007. "Foreign direct investment in Latin America during the emergence of China and India : stylized facts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4360, The World Bank.
- Xiaming Liu & Haiyan Song & Peter Romilly, 1997. "An empirical investigation of the causal relationship between openness and economic growth in China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(12), pages 1679-1686.
- repec:idb:brikps:8551 is not listed on IDEAS
- Titus O. Awokuse, 2003.
"Is the export-led growth hypothesis valid for Canada?,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(1), pages 126-136, February.
- Awokuse, Titus O., 2002. "Is The Export-Lead Growth Hypothesis Valid For Canada?," Staff Papers 15823, University of Delaware, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Lokman Gunduz & Abdulnasser Hatemi-J, 2005. "Is the tourism-led growth hypothesis valid for Turkey?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(8), pages 499-504.
- McMillin, W Douglas, 1988. "Money Growth Volatility and the Macroeconomy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(3), pages 319-35, August.
- Xiaohui Liu & Peter Burridge & P. J. N. Sinclair, 2002. "Relationships between economic growth, foreign direct investment and trade: evidence from China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(11), pages 1433-1440.
- Ana María Cuadros Ramos, 2000. "Exportaciones y crecimiento económico: Un análisis de causalidad para México," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 15(1), pages 37-64.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.