Restructuring of insider-dominated firms
AbstractUsing enterprise survey data for 1995-97, the author studies and compares how different modes of privatizing to insiders affect enterprise restructuring in two former Soviet republics, Georgia and Moldova. Restructuring in companies in which incumbent managers received significant ownership stakes for free was similar to that in companies that were still state-owned. By contrast, restructuring was faster in companies bought by their managers. The author interprets these results as suggesting that managers'incentives to restructure decrease when they regard their newly acquired ownership as a windfall gain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The World Bank in its series Policy Research Working Paper Series with number 2046.
Date of creation: 31 Jan 1999
Date of revision:
Microfinance; Small and Medium Size Enterprises; Banks&Banking Reform; Small Scale Enterprise; Financial Crisis Management&Restructuring; Private Participation in Infrastructure; Microfinance; Small Scale Enterprise; Financial Crisis Management&Restructuring; Banks&Banking Reform;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nickell, S.J., 1993.
"Competition and Crporate Performance,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99155, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Susan J. Linz & Gary Krueger, 1998.
"Enterprise Restructuring in Russia's Transition Economy: Formal and Informal Mechanisms,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
152, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Susan J Linz & Gary Krueger, 1998. "Enterprise Restructuring in Russia's Transition Economy: Formal and Informal Mechanisms," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(2), pages 5-52, July.
- Wilcox, David W, 1989.
"Social Security Benefits, Consumption Expenditure, and the Life Cycle Hypothesis,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(2), pages 288-304, April.
- David W. Wilcox, 1987. "Social security benefits, consumption expenditure, and the life cycle hypothesis," Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section 78, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Blanchard, O. & Aghion, P., 1996. "On insider privatization," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 759-766, April.
- Pohl, G. & Anderson, R.E. & Claessens, S. & Djankov, S., 1997. "Privatization and Restructuring in Central and Eastern Europe: Evidence and Policy Options," Papers 368, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Smith, Stephen C. & Cin, Beom-Cheol & Vodopivec, Milan, 1997. "Privatization Incidence, Ownership Forms, and Firm Performance: Evidence from Slovenia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 158-179, October.
- Wendy Carlin & John Van Reenen & Toby Wolfe, 1995. "Enterprise restructuring in early transition: the case study evidence from Central and Eastern Europe," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 3(4), pages 427-458, December.
- Earle, John S & Estrin, Saul, 1997. "After Voucher Privatization: The Structure of Corporate Ownership in Russian Manufacturing Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 1736, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1997. "Trade reorientation and productivity growth in Bulgarian enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1707, The World Bank.
- Frydman, Roman & Gray, Cheryl W. & Hessel, Marek & Rapaczynski, Andrzej, 1997. "Private ownership and corporate performance : some lessons from transition economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1830, The World Bank.
- Megginson, William L & Nash, Robert C & van Randenborgh, Matthias, 1994. " The Financial and Operating Performance of Newly Privatized Firms: An International Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(2), pages 403-52, June.
- Carlin, Wendy & Fries, Steven & Schaffer, Mark E & Seabright, Paul, 2001.
"Competition and Enterprise Performance in Transition Economies: Evidence from a Cross-country Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wendy Carlin & Steven Fries & Mark Schaffer & Paul Seabright, 2001. "Competition and Enterprise Performance in Transition Economies: Evidence from a Cross-country Survey," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 376, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Wendy Carlin & Steven Fries & Mark Schaffer & Paul Seabright, 2001. "Competition and enterprise performance in transition economies: evidence from a cross-country survey," Working Papers 63, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Susan Linz, 2000. "Restructuring with What Success? A Case Study of Russian Firms," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 324, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jana Fidrmucova, 2000. "Channels of Restructuring in Privatized Czech Companies," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1358, Econometric Society.
- Wendy Carlin & Steven Fries & Mark Schaffer & Paul Seabright, 2001. "Competition and Enterprise Performance in Transition Economies from a Cross-Country Survey," CERT Discussion Papers 0101, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Tran Thi, Que Giang, 2008. "The Impacts of Corporate Governance On the Performance of Privatized Firms In Vietnam," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/3860, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.