A re-examination of the algebraic properties of the AHP as a ratio-scaling technique
AbstractThe Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) ratio-scaling approach is re-examined in view of the recent developments in mathematical psychology based on the so-called separable representations. The study highlights the distortions in the estimates based on the maximum eigenvalue method used in the AHP distinguishing the contributions due to random noises from the effects due to the nonlinearity of the subjective weighting function of separable representations. The analysis is based on the second order expansion of the Perron eigenvector and Perron eigenvalue in reciprocally symmetric matrices with perturbations. The asymptotic distributions of the Perron eigenvector and Perron eigenvalue are derived and related to the eigenvalue-based index of cardinal consistency used in the AHP. The results show the limits of using the latter index as a rule to assess the quality of the estimates of a ratio scale. The AHP method to estimate the ratio scales is compared with the classical ratio magnitude approach used in psychophysics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari" in its series Working Papers with number 2009_23.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Cannaregio, S. Giobbe no 873 , 30121 Venezia
Web page: http://www.unive.it/dip.economia
More information through EDIRC
Separable representations; reciprocally symmetric matrices; consistency indexes.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C44 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Operations Research; Statistical Decision Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-11-27 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michele Bernasconi & Christine Choirat & Raffaello Seri, 2010.
"The Analytic Hierarchy Process and the Theory of Measurement,"
INFORMS, vol. 56(4), pages 699-711, April.
- Michele Bernasconi & Christine Choirat & Raffaello Seri, 2009. "The Analytic Hierarchy Process and the Theory of Measurement," Working Papers 2009_24, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Thomas L. Saaty, 1986. "Axiomatic Foundation of the Analytic Hierarchy Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(7), pages 841-855, July.
- Drazen Prelec, 1998. "The Probability Weighting Function," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(3), pages 497-528, May.
- Michele Bernasconi & Christine Choirat & Raffaello Seri, 2013. "Empirical properties of group preference aggregation methods employed in AHP. Theory and evidence," Working Papers 2013:10, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geraldine Ludbrook).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.