Existence and Efficiency of a Price-Taking Equilibrium in an Economy with Public Goods, Externalities and Property Rights: A Coasian Approach
AbstractWe consider a general equilibrium economy with public goods and externalities. Following Boyd and Conley (1997), we treat externality markets directly instead of indirectly through Arrovian commodities. Because such direct externality markets are not subject to the nonconvexities that Starrett (1972) shows are fundamental to Arrow's externality markets, this new approach admits the use of largely standard methods to prove welfare and existence theorems in an economy with externalities. We extend the Boyd and Conley model to allow firms to benefit from public goods and be damaged by externalities, and to allow consumers to produce externalities. We state a first welfare theorem and prove the existence of a competitive equilibrium. Taken together, this can be viewed as a type of general equilibrium Coase Theorem. Considered as a special case, these theorems also represent a significant generalization of existing results for pure public goods economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Vanderbilt University Department of Economics in its series Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers with number 0403.
Date of creation: Jan 2004
Date of revision: Jan 2004
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/econ/wparchive/index.html
Externalities; Coase Theorem; Arrow commodities; pollution permits; property rights; Lindahl Equilibrium;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luenberger David G., 1994. "Optimality and the Theory of Value," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 147-169, August.
- Harrison, Glenn W & McKee, Michael, 1985. "Experimental Evaluation of the Coase Theorem," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(3), pages 653-70, October.
- Cres, Herve, 1996. "Symmetric Smooth Consumption Externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 334-366, May.
- Diamantaras Dimitrios & Wilkie Simon, 1994. "A Generalization of Kaneko's Ratio Equilibrium for Economies with Private and Public Goods," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 499-512, April.
- Gerard Debreu, 1961. "New Concepts and Techniques for Equilibrium Analysis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 129, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Foley, Duncan K, 1970.
"Lindahl's Solution and the Core of an Economy with Public Goods,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(1), pages 66-72, January.
- D. K. Foley, 1967. "Lindahl's Solution and the Core of an Economy with Public Goods," Working papers 3, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Milleron, Jean-Claude, 1972. "Theory of value with public goods: A survey article," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 419-477, December.
- Khan, M. Ali & Vohra, Rajiv, 1987. "On the existence of Lindahl-Hotelling equilibria," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 143-158, November.
- Hoffman Elizabeth & McCabe Kevin & Shachat Keith & Smith Vernon, 1994. "Preferences, Property Rights, and Anonymity in Bargaining Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 346-380, November.
- Aivazian, Varouj A & Callen, Jeffrey L & Lipnowski, Irwin, 1987. "The Coase Theorem and Coalitional Stability," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(216), pages 517-20, November.
- Boyd, John III & Conley, John P., 1997. "Fundamental Nonconvexities in Arrovian Markets and a Coasian Solution to the Problem of Externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 388-407, February.
- Osana, Hiroaki, 1973. "On the Boundedness of an Economy with Externalities," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 321-31, July.
- Khan, M. Ali & Vohra, Rajiv, 1985. "On the existence of lindahl equilibria in economies with a measure space of non-transitive consumers," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 319-332, August.
- Starrett, David A., 1972. "Fundamental nonconvexities in the theory of externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 180-199, April.
- Donald John Roberts, 1972.
"Existence of Lindahl Equilibrium with a Measure Space of Consumers,"
1, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Roberts, Donald John, 1973. "Existence of Lindahl equilibrium with a measure space of consumers," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 355-381, August.
- Hurwicz, Leonid, 1995. "What is the Coase Theorem?," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 49-74, May.
- Bonnisseau, Jean-Marc, 1991. "Existence of Lindahl equilibria in economies with nonconvex production sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 409-416, August.
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "On Taxation and the Control of Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(3), pages 307-22, June.
- V. V. Chari & Larry E. Jones, 1991.
"A reconsideration of the problem of social cost: free riders and monopolists,"
142, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- V.V. Chari & Larry E. Jones, 2000. "A reconsideration of the problem of social cost: Free riders and monopolists," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 1-22.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.