In search of an alternative to shareholder value maximization
AbstractThis paper argues that mainstream economic the- ory, far from providing an indisputable plea in favor of shareholder value-maximization, o ers striking arguments showing quite the opposite: pro t maximization cannot be a legitimate prioritar- ian goal for private rms. This opens the door for a widening of a company's goal. We argue that it should include the con- cern of all the stakeholders of a company, and cannot be ade-quately addressed uniquely by Pigouvian taxes or by property rights. Coming to terms with this broad understanding of a com-pany's goal should imply the internalization of the stakeholders' concern within the legal structure of the rm | as in the case of the scic in France or the cic in the UK.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00609153.
Date of creation: 08 Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal-essec.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00609153/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Corporate social responsibility ; shareholder value ; stakeholder value ; incomplete markets; limited liability ; property rights ; collateral ; cooperative;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-27 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., 1990.
"Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 113-151.
- John Geanakoplos & Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii & J. Dreze, 1988. "Generic Inefficiency of Stock Market Equilibrium When Markets Are Incomplete," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 863, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Thomas, Charles P, 1995. "The Role of Fiscal Policy in an Incomplete Markets Framework," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 449-68, July.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1979.
"A Theory of Competitive Equilibrium in Stock Market Economies,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 293-329, March.
- Sanford Grossman & Oliver Hart, 1978. "A theory of competitive equilibrium in stock market economies," Special Studies Papers 115, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John Geanakoplos & H M Polemchakis, 2008. "Pareto Improving Taxes," Levine's Working Paper Archive 122247000000002219, David K. Levine.
- Balasko, Yves & Cass, David, 1989. "The Structure of Financial Equilibrium with Exogenous Yields: The Case of Incomplete Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(1), pages 135-62, January.
- Bonnisseau, J.-M. & Cornet, B., 1987. "Existence of marginal cost pricing equilibrium in an economy with several nonconvex firms," CORE Discussion Papers 1987023, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Cornet, Bernard, 1988. "General equilibrium theory and increasing returns : Presentation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 103-118, April.
- Starrett, David A., 1972. "Fundamental nonconvexities in the theory of externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 180-199, April.
- John Geanakoplos & H. M. Polemarchakis, 2008. "Pareto Improving Taxes," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1662, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Boyd, John III & Conley, John P., 1997. "Fundamental Nonconvexities in Arrovian Markets and a Coasian Solution to the Problem of Externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 388-407, February.
- GIRAUD, Gaël, 2000.
"An algebraic index theorem for non-smooth economies,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2000016, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gaël Giraud, 2001. "An Algebraic Index Theorem for Non-smooth Economies," Post-Print hal-00460314, HAL.
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "On Taxation and the Control of Externalities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(3), pages 307-22, June.
- John Geanakoplos & Andreu Mas-Colell, 1985.
"Real Indeterminacy with Financial Assets,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
770R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Oct 1985.
- Surroca, Jordi & Tribó, Josep A. & Waddock, Sandra, 2010. "Corporate responsibility and financial performance : the role of intangible resources," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/6079, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Britz, Volker & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Predtetchinski, Arkadi, 2008.
"Non-cooperative Support for the Asymmetric Nash Bargaining solution,"
018, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Britz, Volker & Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Predtetchinski, Arkadi, 2010. "Non-cooperative support for the asymmetric Nash bargaining solution," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(5), pages 1951-1967, September.
- repec:pri:cepsud:106 is not listed on IDEAS
- Momi, Takeshi, 2001. "Non-existence of equilibrium in an incomplete stock market economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 41-70, February.
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1975. "Pareto Optimality in Non-Convex Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Dierker, Egbert, 1987. "Increasing returns, efficiency, and the distribution of wealth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 475-482.
- Salchow, Hans-Jurgen, 2006. "An essay on the state of economic science," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 653-660, September.
- Geanakoplos, John & Polemarchakis, H.M., 2008. "Pareto improving taxes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 682-696, July.
- Bruni, Luigino & Sugden, Robert, 2008. "Fraternity: Why The Market Need Not Be A Morally Free Zone," Economics and Philosophy, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 35-64, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.