Capital Stock Estimates for China's Regional Economies: Results and Analyses
AbstractThe lack of capital stock statistics for empirical research on the Chinese economy has for a long time been one of the major impediments. Though many authors have attempted to derive their own data series, most authors have focused on investigations at the national level and their findings are not without controversies. Few studies have provided estimates of capital stock for China's regional economies. This paper adds to the literature in several ways. First, it presents a critical review of the methods and findings in the existing literature. Second, it proposes an alternative approach to estimate China's regional capital stock values. Finally, the derived capital stock series are applied to examine growth, disparity and convergence in China's regional economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics in its series Economics Discussion / Working Papers with number 07-16.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Jul 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, W.A. 6009
Phone: (08) 9380 2918
Fax: (08) 9380 1016
Web page: http://www.business.uwa.edu.au/school/disciplines/economics
More information through EDIRC
Capital stock estimates; Chinese economy; perpetual inventory approach;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kuan, Chen & Hongchang, Wang & Yuxin, Zheng & Jefferson, Gary H. & Rawski, Thomas G., 1988. "Productivity change in Chinese industry: 1953-1985," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 570-591, December.
- Carsten A. Holz, 2005.
"New Capital Estimates for China,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Xiaolei Qian & Russell Smyth, 2005.
"Growth Accounting for the Chinese Provinces 1990-2000: Incorporating Human Capital Accumulation,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
11/05, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Xiaolei Qian & Russell Smyth, 2006. "Growth Accounting for the Chinese Provinces 1990-2000: Incorporating Human Capital Accumulation," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(1), pages 21-37.
- Bramall, Chris, 2000. "Sources of Chinese Economic Growth, 1978-1996," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296973.
- Yanrui Wu, 2007. "Environmental Efficiency and Its Determinants in China’s Regional Economies," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 07-21, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shane Standley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.