An interdisciplinary research agenda for the study of ecological-economic systems in the American West
AbstractIncreased public awareness of resource management issues and new attitudes toward resource conservation have led to great interest in the subject of the apposite use and management of natural and environmental resources in the American west. This paper analyzes this subject from an interdisciplinary ecological-economic perspective. The paper first identifies and then discusses four salient issues concerning the study of the west’s ecological-economic systems that remain inadequately understood. Next, the paper proposes a research agenda that will enable us to shed light on some key questions concerning the functioning, health, and management of the west’s ecological-economic systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Utah State University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2000-13.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
American West; ecological-economic system; interdisciplinary research agenda;
Other versions of this item:
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 2000. "An interdisciplinary research agenda for the study of ecological-economic systems in the American West," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 69-75, June.
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dixit, Avinash & Hammond, Peter & Hoel, Michael, 1980. "On Hartwick's Rule for Regular Maximin Paths of Capital Accumulation and Resource Depletion," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 551-56, April.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A. & Beladi, Hamid, 2004. "Time restrictions in natural resource management: A dynamic and stochastic analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(3), pages 775-783, September.
- Hartwick, John M, 1978. "Substitution among Exhaustible Resources and Intergenerational Equity," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(2), pages 347-54, June.
- Amit Batabyal, . "Contemporary research in ecological economics: five outstanding issues," Working Papers 2000-01, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Charles Perrings, 1998. "Resilience in the Dynamics of Economy-Environment Systems," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 11(3), pages 503-520, April.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A. & Biswas, Basudeb & Godfrey, E. Bruce, 2001.
"On The Choice Between The Stocking Rate And Time In Range Management,"
2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL
20744, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Amitrajeet Batabyal & Basudeb Biswas & E. Godfrey, 2001. "On the Choice Between the Stocking Rate and Time in Range Management," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 20(3), pages 211-223, November.
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A. & Biswas, Basudeb & Godfrey, E. Bruce, 2003. "A Dynamic And Stochastic Perspective On The Role Of Time In Range Management," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22149, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Batabyal, Amitrajeet A., 1999. "Aspects of the optimal management of cyclical ecological-economic systems," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 285-292, August.
- Hartwick, John M, 1977.
"Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 972-74, December.
- John Hartwick, 1976. "Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources," Working Papers 220, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 1996. "The economics of the environment," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(04), pages 387-428, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Gilbert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.