Multilateral comparison of total factor productivity and convergence in Italian agriculture (1951-2002)
AbstractThis article uses the index number approach to estimate the regional differences of agricultural output, input and total factor productivity (TFP) in Italy. Data cover the period 1951 to 2002 and are taken from Agrefit, which is a new database of Italian agriculture at regional level. Comparisons across space and time are constructed in two steps: first, bilateral Fisher indexes, which are not transitive, are spatially chained to obtain transitivity, using the EKS method, then, multilateral indexes are linked chronologically over time by means of the so-called TFGG method, which satisfies temporal fixity. The second focus of the paper is to test for convergence in agricultural productivity. We consider the problems of heterogeneity and stability of cross-section growth regressions using a hierarchical Bayesian method based on panel data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID), University of Siena in its series Department of Economic Policy, Finance and Development (DEPFID) University of Siena with number 0209.
Date of creation: Feb 2009
Date of revision:
Index number approach; Agricultural TFP; Multilateral comparisons; Panel data; Regional convergence.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2009-07-28 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2009-07-28 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matteo Lanzafame, 2005.
"Economic Structure, Technology Diffusion and Convergence: The Case of the Italian Regions,"
Studies in Economics
0507, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Matteo Lanzafame, 2005. "Economic structure, technology diffusion and convergence - the case of the Italian regions," ERSA conference papers ersa05p323, European Regional Science Association.
- Adriana Di Liberto & Roberto Mura & Francesco Pigliaru, 2003. "A panel technique for the analysis of technology convergence: The case of the Italian regions," ERSA conference papers ersa03p293, European Regional Science Association.
- Cappelen, A. & Castellacci, F. & Fagerberg, J. & Verspagen, B, 2003.
"The Impact of EU Regional Support on Growth and Convergence in the European Union,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-18029, Maastricht University.
- Aadne Cappelen & Fulvio Castellacci & Jan Fagerberg & Bart Verspagen, 2003. "The Impact of EU Regional Support on Growth and Convergence in the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41, pages 621-644, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo Zappia).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.