The effect of unemployment spells on subsequent wages in Spain
AbstractIn our analysis we try and recover the wage loss from unemployment in Spain and see how it is affected by previous unemployment experience, unemployment duration, eligibility for unemployment benefits, and previous wages. We also study its variations across groups. Our main conclusion is that while there is some evidence that labour market rigidities tend to lower it, the wage loss of displaced workers is remarkably high: more than 30%, that is, twice the equivalent figure for the US and France. Wages in Spain suffer from a serious mismeasurement problems that we do our best to control, so that our results are less robust than the ones that would be obtained with better data sets. However, they indicate a large level of wage flexibility in Spain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 295.
Date of creation: Jun 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Unemployment; unemployment duration; wages; job search; Spain; displacement; job loss;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J6 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982. "Wage Determination and Efficiency in Search Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 217-27, April.
- Louis S. Jacobson & Robert J. LaLonde & Daniel Sullivan, 1992.
"Earnings Losses of Displaced Workers,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
92-11, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Addison, John T & Portugal, Pedro, 1989. "Job Displacement, Relative Wage Changes, and Duration of Unemployment," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(3), pages 281-302, July.
- Heckman, James J & Borjas, George J, 1980. "Does Unemployment Cause Future Unemployment? Definitions, Questions and Answers from a Continuous Time Model of Heterogeneity and State Dependence," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 47(187), pages 247-83, August.
- William J. Carrington, 1993. "Wage Losses for Displaced Workers: Is It Really the Firm That Matters?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(3), pages 435-462.
- Daniel Cohen & Arnaud Lefranc & Gilles Saint-Paul, 1997. "French unemployment: a transatlantic perspective," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(25), pages 265-292, October.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1974.
"Age, Experience and Wage Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
0051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1991. "Are Workers Permanently Scarred by Job Displacements?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 319-24, March.
- Houle, Mario & Van Audenrode, Marc, 1995. "Job displacement, wages, and unemployment duration in Canada," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 77-91, March.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Ichino, Andrea, 2000.
"Unemployment and Consumption: Are Job Losses Less Painful near the Mediterranean?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2539, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Samuel Bentolila & Andrea Ichino, 2000. "Unemployment and Consumption: Are Job Losses Less Painful near the Mediterranean?," CESifo Working Paper Series 372, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bentolila, S. & Ichino, A., 2000. "Unemployment and Consumption: are Job Losses Less Painful Near the Mediterranean?," Papers, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros- 0010, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Garcia Perez, Jose Ignacio & Rebollo Sanz, Yolanda, 2005.
"Wage changes through job mobility in Europe: A multinomial endogenous switching approach,"
Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 531-555, August.
- JosÃ© Ignacio GarcÃa PÃ©rez & Yolanda Rebollo Sanz, 2004. "Wage changes through job mobility in Europe: A multinomial endogenous switching approach," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/70, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Giulio Fella, 2007.
"Optimal Severance Pay in a Matching Model,"
598, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Arnaud ChÃ©ron & Jean-Olivier Hairault & FranÃ§ois Langot, 2011.
"Age-Dependent Employment Protection,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Lei Fang & Pedro Silos, 2012. "Wages and unemployment across business cycles: a high-frequency investigation," Working Paper, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta 2012-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Arnaud Lefranc, 2003.
"Labor Market Dynamics and Wage Losses of Displaced Workers in France and the United States,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
2003-614, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- A. Lefranc, 2002. "Labor Market Dynamics and Wage Losses of Displaced Workers in France and the United-States," THEMA Working Papers 2002-15, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Yolanda Rebollo Sanz & JosÃ© Ignacio GarcÃa-PÃ©rez, 2006.
"A Structural Estimation to Evaluate the Wage Penalty After Unemployment in Europe,"
06.26, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- JosÃ© Ignacio GarcÃa PÃ©rez & Yolanda Rebollo Sanz, 2005. "A Structural Estimation to Evaluate the Wage Penalty after Unemployment in Europe," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2005/15, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Amynah Vanessa Gangji & Robert Plasman, 2007. "The Matthew effect of unemployment: how does it affect wages in Belgium," DULBEA Working Papers, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles 07-19.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.