Multimarket contact in pharmaceutical markets
AbstractWe analyze the effect of multimarket contact on the pricing behavior of pharmaceutical firms controlling for different levels of regulatory constraints using the IMS MIDAS database for the industry. Theoretically, under product differentiation, firms may find it profitable to allocate their market power among markets where they are operating, specifically from more collusive to more competitive ones. We present evidence for nine OECD countries suggesting the existence of a multimarket effect for more market friendly countries (U.S. and Canada) and less regulated ones (U.K., Germany, Netherlands), while the results are more unstable for highly regulated countries with some countries being consistent with the theory (France) while others contradicting it (Japan, Italy and Spain). A key result indicates that in the latter countries, price constraints are so intense, that there is little room for allocating market power. Thus equilibrium prices are expected in general to be lower in regulated countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 1033.
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision: Jul 2007
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Pharmaceutical prices; Multimarket Contact; Regulation;
Other versions of this item:
- Javier Coronado & Sergi Jiménez Martín & Pedro L. Marín, 2008. "Multimarket Contact in Pharmaceutical Markets," Working Papers 2008-20, FEDEA.
- Javier Coronado & Sergi Jiménez-Martín & Pedro L. Marín, 2007. "Multimarket Contact in Pharmaceutical Markets," Working Papers 303, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Javier Coronado & Sergi Jiménez-Martín & Pedro L. Marín, 2007. "Multimarket Contact in Pharmaceutical Markets," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 698.07, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC), revised 18 Jul 2007.
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L65 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Chemicals; Rubber; Drugs; Biotechnology
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2007-05-19 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HEA-2007-05-19 (Health Economics)
- NEP-IND-2007-05-19 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2007-05-19 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-REG-2007-05-19 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- B. Douglas Bernheim & Michael D. Whinston, 1990. "Multimarket Contact and Collusive Behavior," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(1), pages 1-26, Spring.
- Hackner, Jonas, 1994. "Collusive pricing in markets for vertically differentiated products," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 155-177, June.
- Matsushima, Hitoshi, 2001.
"Multimarket Contact, Imperfect Monitoring, and Implicit Collusion,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 158-178, May.
- Hitoshi Matsushima, 1998. "Multimarket Contact, Imperfect Monitoring, and Implicit Collusion," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-24, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Scott, John T, 1982. "Multimarket Contact and Economic Performance," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(3), pages 368-75, August.
- Chang, Myong-Hun, 1991. "The effects of product differentiation on collusive pricing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 453-469, September.
- Cabrales, Antonio, .
"Pharmaceutical Generics, Vertical Product Differentiation and Public Policy,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/3489, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Antonio Cabrales, 2003. "Pharmaceutical generics, vertical product differentiation and public policy," Economics Working Papers 662, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Antonio Cabrales, 2003. "Pharmaceutical generics, vertical product differentiation and public policy," Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics 662, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Antonio Cabrales, 2003. "Pharmaceutical Generics, Vertical Product Differentiation, and Public Policy," Working Papers 54, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Danzon, Patricia M & Chao, Li-Wei, 2000. "Does Regulation Drive out Competition in Pharmaceutical Markets?," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 311-57, October.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Andrew J. Epstein, 2008. "Effects of Regulation on Drug Launch and Pricing in Interdependent Markets," NBER Working Papers 14041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Evans, William N & Kessides, Ioannis N, 1994. "Living by the "Golden Rule": Multimarket Contact in the U.S. Airline Industry," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 341-66, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.