Fiscal policy efficiency and coordination: The New Open Economy Macroeconomics Approach
AbstractThe paper offers a survey of recent research on fiscal policy in both deterministic and stochastic models of the New Open Economy Macroeconomics (NOEM) initiated by Obstfeld and Rogoff (1995, 2002b). The survey includes a comparison of the implications of the deterministic benchmark model to the empirical evidence obtained in recent studies. It provides a detailed discussion of the recent extensions induced by the gap between theoretical and empirical implications. These extensions revise the traditionally studied aspects of fiscal issues such as the transmission channels of fiscal policy by introducing production specialization at the international level or by diversifying the pricing decisions of firms. They also cover current economic issues such as the effect of financial globalization on fiscal policy efficiency and the implication of a reduction in public employment in order to cut taxes. After presenting the basic features of a benchmark stochastic NOEM model for fiscal policy, the paper discusses the recent developments the gains from international fiscal policy cooperation with respect to gains from fiscal stabilization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg in its series Working Papers of BETA with number 2010-18.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PEGE. 61, Aven. de la Forêt-Noire 67000 Strasbourg
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
New Open Economy Macroeconomics; fiscal policy; stochastic and deterministic general equilibrium models.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-07-24 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2010-07-24 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-OPM-2010-07-24 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martine Carré & Fabrice Collard, 1999.
"Monetary Union : A Welfare Based Approach,"
99-62, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Martine Carre & Fabrice Collard, 2000. "Monetary Union: A Welfare Based Approach," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0526, Econometric Society.
- Marc-Hubert Depret & Abdelillah Hamdouch, 2010. "Les clusters et les réseaux comme fondements de la dynamique d'innovation dans l'industrie biopharmaceutique," Working Papers of BETA 2010-11, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Fratzscher, Marcel & Müller, Gernot J., 2010.
"Productivity shocks, budget deficits and the current account,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1562-1579, December.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Fratzscher, Marcel & Müller, Gernot J., 2005. "Productivity shocks, budget deficits and the current account," Working Paper Series 0509, European Central Bank.
- Dirk Muir & Douglas Laxton & Dennis P. J. Botman & Andrei Romanov, 2006. "A New-Open-Economy Macro Model for Fiscal Policy Evaluation," IMF Working Papers 06/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Meixing Dai, 2010.
"External constraint and financial crises with balance sheet effects,"
Working Papers of BETA
2010-23, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Meixing Dai, 2012. "External Constraint and Financial Crises with Balance Sheet Effects," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(4), pages 567-585, March.
- Dai, Meixing, 2010. "External constraint and financial crises with balance sheet effects," MPRA Paper 21625, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Meixing DAI, 2009. "External constraint and financial crises with balance sheet effects," Working Papers of BETA 2009-02, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.