Innovation and Development. The Evidence from Innovation Surveys
AbstractIn this article we investigate the existing evidence on innovation produced by innovation surveys in developing and emerging countries in Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America. We review the relevant literature, discuss methodological issues, and analyse the results for the countries with the most comparable surveys, considering the well established findings of innovation surveys for Europe as a benchmark. From the evidence we considered, regional patterns are identified and some stylized facts on innovation and development are proposed, pointing out the specificity of innovation processes in economies engaged in industrialisation and catching-up.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg in its series Working Papers of BETA with number 2010-13.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PEGE. 61, Aven. de la Forêt-Noire 67000 Strasbourg
Phone: +33 3 68 85 20 69
Fax: +33 3 68 85 20 70
Web page: http://www.beta-umr7522.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Innovation Surveys; Patterns of Innovation; Emerging Countries.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O19 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - International Linkages to Development; Role of International Organizations
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
- O54 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Latin America; Caribbean
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2010-06-18 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2010-06-18 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2010-06-18 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Archibugi, Daniele & Coco, Alberto, 2004.
"A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo),"
Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 629-654, April.
- Daniele Archibugi & Alberto Coco, 2004. "A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo)," SPRU Working Paper Series 111, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Daniele Archibugi & Alberto Coco, 2004. "A New Indicator of Technological Capabilities for Developed and Developing Countries (ArCo)," CEIS Research Paper 44, Tor Vergata University, CEIS.
- Ha-Joon Chang, 2001. "Intellectual Property Rights and Economic Development: Historical lessons and emerging issues," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 287-309.
- Attanasio, Orazio & Goldberg, Pinelopi K. & Pavcnik, Nina, 2004.
"Trade reforms and wage inequality in Colombia,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 331-366, August.
- Orazio Attanasio & Pinelopi Goldberg & Nina Pavcnik, 2003. "Trade Reforms and Wage Inequiality in Colombia," NBER Working Papers 9830, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Attanasio, Orazio & Goldberg, Pinelopi & Pavcnik, Nina, 2003. "Trade Reforms and Wage Inequality in Colombia," CEPR Discussion Papers 4023, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- José Miguel Benavente, 2005. "Investigación y desarrollo, innovación y productividad: un análisis econométrico a nivel de la firma," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 32(1 Year 20), pages 39-67, June.
- José Miguel Benavente, 2002.
"The Role of Research and Innovation in Promoting Productivity in Chile,"
wp200, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Jose Miguel Benavente, 2006. "The role of research and innovation in promoting productivity in chile," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4-5), pages 301-315.
- José-Miguel Benavente & Luiz de Mello & Nanno Mulder, 2005. "Fostering Innovation in Chile," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 454, OECD Publishing.
- Abramovitz, Moses, 1986. "Catching Up, Forging Ahead, and Falling Behind," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 46(02), pages 385-406, June.
- Jan Fagerberg & Martin Srholec, 2008. "Technology and development: Unpacking the relationship(s)," Working Papers on Innovation Studies 20080623, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1988. "Sources, Procedures, and Microeconomic Effects of Innovation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(3), pages 1120-71, September.
- João Alberto De Negri & Luiz Esteves & Fernando Freitas, 2007. "Knowledge production and firm growth in Brazil," Working Papers 0057, Universidade Federal do Paraná, Department of Economics.
- Mohamed Ayadi & Mohieddine Rahmouni & Murat Yildizoglu, 2009. "Determinants of the Innovation Propensity in Tunisia: the Central Role of External Knowledge Sources," Working Papers halshs-00368560, HAL.
- Chudnovsky, Daniel & Lopez, Andres & Pupato, German, 2006. "Innovation and productivity in developing countries: A study of Argentine manufacturing firms' behavior (1992-2001)," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 266-288, March.
- Francesco Bogliacino & Alberto José Naranjo Ramos, 2008. "Optimal intellectual property rights protection: the case of Colombia," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 15(20), pages 1-15.
- Aralica Zoran & Račić Domagoj & Radić Dubravko, 2008. "Innovation Propensity in Croatian Enterprises: Results of a Community Innovation Survey," South East European Journal of Economics and Business, De Gruyter Open, vol. 3(1), pages 77-88, April.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:15:y:2008:i:20:p:1-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chadha, Alka, 2009. "Product Cycles, Innovation, and Exports: A Study of Indian Pharmaceuticals," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1478-1483, September.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 1992. "Welfare Effects of Global Patent Protection," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 59(233), pages 35-51, February.
- Pier Francesco Asso & Vito Pipitone, 2013.
"Ostacoli e determinanti dell’innovazione: un’analisi sulle imprese siciliane di successo,"
Rivista di Politica Economica,
SIPI Spa, issue 3, pages 157-193, July-Sept.
- Asso, Pier Francesco & Pipitone, Vito, 2010. "Ostacoli e determinanti dell’innovazione: un’analisi sulle imprese siciliane di successo," Working Papers Res 2/2010, Fondazione Res, revised 01 Dec 2010.
- Daniela DUCA, 2013. "Moldova’S Chance To Innovation: Can The Cis Survey Help A Developing Countrysucceed?," ECONOMY AND SOCIOLOGY: Theoretical and Scientifical Journal, (Socionet) & (EDIRIC) & (REPEC) & Institutul National de Cercetari Economice, issue 3, pages 96-104.
- Huang, Can & Wu, Yilin & Mohnen, Pierre & Zhao, Yanyun, 2013. "Government support, innovation and productivity in the Haidian (Beijing) District," MERIT Working Papers 058, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Jacques Mairesse & Pierre Mohnen, 2010.
"Using Innovation Surveys for Econometric Analysis,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Mohnen, Pierre & Mairesse, Jacques, 2010. "Using Innovation Surveys for Econometric Analysis," MERIT Working Papers 023, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Jacques Mairesse & Pierre Mohnen, 2010. "Using Innovations Surveys for Econometric Analysis," NBER Working Papers 15857, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Luigi Cannari & Francesca Lotti & Silvia Magri, 2012. "The innovation gap of Italy’s production system: roots and possible solutions," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 121, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.