Reforming Capital Requirements in Emerging Countries: Calibrating Basel II using Historical Argentine Credit Bureau Data and CreditRisk+
AbstractEmerging economies are likely to be more volatile and asset risk more correlated than in industrialized countries. In this paper we discuss how credit scoring techniques and modern credit risk portfolio models can be used to measure credit risk and check Basel II calibration for such an environment. After reviewing the development of credit risk portfolio models, to explain our choice in using CreditRisk+, we discuss the definition and estimation methodology for a set of essential parameter inputs, which in turn depend on the data available - in this case from the Argentine public credit bureau. We then simulate, bank by bank, the introduction of Basel II's foundation IRB approach using the same data for Argentina and compare the results. We analyze how the IRB approach might be recalibrated and finally discuss a set of other issues regarding IRB implementation in an emerging economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Torcuato Di Tella in its series Business School Working Papers with number capitalreqemerging.
Length: 29 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Miñones 2177 - (1428) Buenos Aires
Web page: http://www.utdt.edu/listado_contenidos.php?id_item_menu=4994
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael B. Gordy, 1998.
"A comparative anatomy of credit risk models,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1998-47, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Veronica Balzarotti & Michael Falkenheim & Andrew Powell, 2002. "On the Use of Portfolio Risk Models and Capital Requirements in Emerging Markets: The Case of Argentina," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 16(2), pages 197-212, August.
- Carey, Mark & Hrycay, Mark, 2001. "Parameterizing credit risk models with rating data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 197-270, January.
- Pamela Nickell & William Perraudin & Simone Varotto, 2001.
"Stability of ratings transitions,"
Bank of England working papers
133, Bank of England.
- Verónica Balzarotti & Fernando Castelpoggi, 2009. "Credit Scoring Models: Missing Information and the Use of Data from a Credit Register," Ensayos Económicos, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department, vol. 1(56), pages 95-156, October -.
- Majnoni, Giovanni & Miller, Margaret & Powell, Andrew, 2004. "Bank capital and loan loss reserves under Basel II - implications for emerging countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3437, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolás Del Ponte).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.