Child Deprivation, Multidimensional Poverty and Monetary Poverty in Europe
AbstractThe paper focuses on child deprivation in Europe and studies the degree to which it is experienced by children in 29 countries using a child specific deprivation scale. The paper discusses the construction of a child deprivation scale and estimates a European Child Deprivation Index for the 29 countries using 14 specific child related variables made available by the child module of the EU-SILC 2009 survey. The 29 countries are ranked according to the degree of child deprivation: the results show considerable differences between the countries. The (non-)overlap between child deprivation and child monetary poverty is considerable but limited. In general the results indicate where policy interventions can produce improvements. (REVISED VERSION)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre in its series Innocenti Working Papers with number inwopa657.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision: 2012
Find related papers by JEL classification:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEM-2012-03-28 (Demographic Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2012-03-28 (Microeconomic European Issues)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Howard White & Jennifer Leavy & Andrew Masters, 2003.
"Comparative Perspectives on Child Poverty: A review of poverty measures,"
Journal of Human Development and Capabilities,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 379-396.
- Howard White & Andrew Masters & Jennifer Leavy, 2005. "Comparative Perspectives on Child poverty: a review of poverty measures," Development and Comp Systems 0504017, EconWPA.
- Christopher Whelan & Bertrand Maitre, 2010.
"Poverty in Ireland in Comparative European Perspective,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 95(1), pages 91-110, January.
- Whelan, Christopher T. & Maitre, Bertrand, 2008. "Poverty in Ireland in Comparative European Perspective," Papers WP265, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Notten, Geranda & Neubourg, Chris de, 2007. "Poverty in Europe and the USA: Exchanging official measurement methods," MPRA Paper 4669, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Keetie Roelen & Franziska Gassmann & Chris Neubourg, 2010. "Child Poverty in Vietnam: Providing Insights Using a Country-Specific and Multidimensional Model," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 129-145, August.
- Whelan, Christopher T. & Maitre, Bertrand, 2008. "Comparing Poverty Indicators in an Enlarged EU," Papers WP263, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- FUSCO Alessio & GUIO Anne-Catherine & MARLIER Eric, 2011. "Income poverty and material deprivation in European countries," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2011-04, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Notten, Geranda, 2013. "Child deprivation in Ontario: A (less than perfect) comparison with Europe," MERIT Working Papers 030, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patrizia Faustini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.