Intertemporal Material Deprivation
AbstractIndividual well-being is multidimensional and various aspects of the quality of life need to be jointly considered in its measurement. The axiomatic literature on the subject has proposed many indices of multidimensional poverty and deprivation and explored the properties that are at the basis of these measures. The purpose of this chapter is to add intertemporal considerations to the analysis of material deprivation. We employ the EU-SILC panel data set, which includes information on different aspects of well-being over time. EU countries are compared based on measures that take this additional intertemporal information into consideration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 2012-06.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP 6128, Succ. Centre-Ville, Montréal, Québec, H3C 3J7
Phone: (514) 343-6540
Fax: (514) 343-5831
Web page: http://www.sceco.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
Multidimensional material deprivation; Intertemporal social index numbers; Persistent deprivation;
Other versions of this item:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koen Decancq & María Ana Lugo, 2013.
"Weights in Multidimensional Indices of Wellbeing: An Overview,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 7-34, January.
- Koen DECANCQ & María Ana LUGO, 2010. "Weights in multidimensional indices of well-being: an overview," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces10.06, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- DECANCQ, Koen & LUGO, Maria Ana, . "Weights in multidimensional indices of wellbeing: an overview," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2493, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Walter Bossert & Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D’Ambrosio, 2008.
"Poverty and Time,"
87, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Bossert, Walter & Chakravarty, Satya R. & d’Ambrosio, Conchita, 2010. "Poverty and Time," Working Paper Series wp2010-74, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- BOSSERT, Walter & CHAKRAVARTY, Satya R. & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2008. "Poverty and Time," Cahiers de recherche 05-2008, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- BOSSERT, Walter & CHAKRAVARTY, Satya R. & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2008. "Poverty and Time," Cahiers de recherche 2008-05, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Carlos Gradín & Coral Del Río & Olga Cantó, 2012.
"Measuring Poverty Accounting For Time,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 58(2), pages 330-354, 06.
- Carlos Gradín & Coral del Río & Olga Cantó, 2010. "Measuring poverty accounting for time," Working Papers 169, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Carlos Gradín & Coral del Río & Olga Cantó, 2010. "Measuring poverty accounting for time," Working Papers 1005, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Cesar Calvo & Stefan Dercon, 2007.
"Chronic Poverty and All That: The Measurement of Poverty over Time,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2007-04, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Cesar Calvo & Stefan Dercon, 2007. "Chronic Poverty and All That: The Measurement of Poverty over Time," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2007-04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Michael Hoy & Buhong Zheng, 2008.
"Measuring Lifetime Poverty,"
0814, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- FUSCO Alessio & GUIO Anne-Catherine & MARLIER Eric, 2011. "Income poverty and material deprivation in European countries," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2011-04, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Michael Hoy & Brennan Thompson & Buhong Zheng, 2012.
"Empirical issues in lifetime poverty measurement,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 163-189, June.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 476-487, August.
- Aaron Nicholas & Ranjan Ray, 2011.
"Duration and Persistence in Multidimensional Deprivation: Methodology and Australian Application,"
Development Research Unit Working Paper Series
10-11, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Aaron Nicholas & Ranjan Ray, 2012. "Duration and Persistence in Multidimensional Deprivation: Methodology and Australian Application," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 88(280), pages 106-126, 03.
- Hojman, Daniel Andres & Kast, Felipe, 2009.
"On the Measurement of Poverty Dynamics,"
4449107, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Luc Christiaensen & Anthony Shorrocks, 2012. "Measuring poverty over time," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 137-143, June.
- Joan R. Rodgers & John L. Rodgers, 1993. "Chronic Poverty in the United States," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(1), pages 25-54.
- Daria Mendola & Annalisa Busetta, 2012. "The Importance Of Consecutive Spells Of Poverty: A Path-Dependent Index Of Longitudinal Poverty," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 58(2), pages 355-374, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.