Intertemporal Material Deprivation
AbstractIndividual well-being is multidimensional and various aspects of the quality of life need to be jointly considered in its measurement. The axiomatic literature on the subject has proposed many indices of multidimensional poverty and deprivation and explored the properties that are at the basis of these measures. The purpose of this chapter is to add intertemporal considerations to the analysis of material deprivation. We employ the EU-SILC panel data set, which includes information on different aspects of well-being over time. EU countries are compared based on measures that take this additional intertemporal information into consideration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 2012-06.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP 6128, Succ. Centre-Ville, Montréal, Québec, H3C 3J7
Phone: (514) 343-6540
Fax: (514) 343-5831
Web page: http://www.sceco.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
Multidimensional material deprivation; Intertemporal social index numbers; Persistent deprivation;
Other versions of this item:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Walter Bossert & Satya R. Chakravarty & Conchita D’Ambrosio, 2008.
"Poverty and Time,"
87, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Bossert, Walter & Chakravarty, Satya R. & d’Ambrosio, Conchita, 2010. "Poverty and Time," Working Paper Series wp2010-74, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- BOSSERT, Walter & CHAKRAVARTY, Satya R. & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2008. "Poverty and Time," Cahiers de recherche 05-2008, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- BOSSERT, Walter & CHAKRAVARTY, Satya R. & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2008. "Poverty and Time," Cahiers de recherche 2008-05, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Carlos Gradín & Coral del Río & Olga Cantó, 2010.
"Measuring poverty accounting for time,"
169, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Aaron Nicholas & Ranjan Ray, 2012.
"Duration and Persistence in Multidimensional Deprivation: Methodology and Australian Application,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 88(280), pages 106-126, 03.
- Aaron Nicholas & Ranjan Ray, 2011. "Duration and Persistence in Multidimensional Deprivation: Methodology and Australian Application," Monash Economics Working Papers 10-11, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Daria Mendola & Annalisa Busetta, 2012. "The Importance Of Consecutive Spells Of Poverty: A Path-Dependent Index Of Longitudinal Poverty," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 58(2), pages 355-374, 06.
- Luc Christiaensen & Anthony Shorrocks, 2012. "Measuring poverty over time," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 137-143, June.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 476-487, August.
- Joan R. Rodgers & John L. Rodgers, 1993. "Chronic Poverty in the United States," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(1), pages 25-54.
- Koen Decancq & María Ana Lugo, 2013.
"Weights in Multidimensional Indices of Wellbeing: An Overview,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 7-34, January.
- Koen DECANCQ & María Ana LUGO, 2010. "Weights in multidimensional indices of well-being: an overview," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces10.06, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Decancq, Koen & Lugo, María Ana, 2010. "Weights in multidimensional indices of well-being: an overview," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/262767, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Hoy, Michael & Scott B., Thompson & Zheng, Buhong, 2010.
"Empirical Issues in Lifetime Poverty Measurement,"
Working Paper Series
wp2010-73, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Hoy, Michael & Zheng, Buhong, 2011.
"Measuring lifetime poverty,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 146(6), pages 2544-2562.
- FUSCO Alessio & GUIO Anne-Catherine & MARLIER Eric, 2011. "Income poverty and material deprivation in European countries," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2011-04, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Cesar Calvo & Stefan Dercon, 2007.
"Chronic Poverty and All That: The Measurement of Poverty over Time,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2007-04, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Cesar Calvo & Stefan Dercon, 2007. "Chronic Poverty and All That: The Measurement of Poverty over Time," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2007-04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- François Bourguignon & Satya Chakravarty, 2003.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 25-49, April.
- Hojman, Daniel & Kast, Felipe, 2009. "On the Measurement of Poverty Dynamics," Working Paper Series rwp09-035, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- A. Atkinson, 2003. "Multidimensional Deprivation: Contrasting Social Welfare and Counting Approaches," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 51-65, April.
- Indranil Dutta & Laurence Roope & Horst Zank, 2011. "On Intertemporal Poverty: Affluence-Dependent Measures," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1112, Economics, The University of Manchester.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.