Intertemporal Poverty Comparisons
AbstractThe paper deals with poverty orderings when multidimensional attributes exhibit some degree of comparability. The paper focuses on an important special case of this, that is, comparisons of poverty that make use of incomes at different time periods. The ordering criteria extend the power of earlier multidimensional dominance tests by making (reasonable) assumptions on the relative marginal contributions of each temporal dimension to poverty. Inter alia, this involves drawing on natural symmetry and asymmetry assumptions as well as on the mean/variability framework commonly used in the risk literature. The resulting procedures make it possible to check for the robustness of poverty comparisons to choices of temporal aggregation procedures and to areas of intertemporal poverty frontiers. The results are illustrated using a rich sample of 23 European countries over 2006-09.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRPEE in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 1240.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Poverty comparisons; intertemporal well-being; household inequalities; stochastic dominance; multidimensional poverty;
Other versions of this item:
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-12-22 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Yves Duclos & David E. Sahn & Stephen D. Younger, 2006.
"Robust Multidimensional Poverty Comparisons,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(514), pages 943-968, October.
- James Foster & Sabina Alkire, 2011.
"Understandings and Misunderstandings of Multidimensional Poverty Measurement,"
2011-18, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Sabina Alkire & James Foster, 2011. "Understandings and misunderstandings of multidimensional poverty measurement," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 289-314, June.
- Sabina Alkire and James Foster, 2011. "Understandings and Misunderstandings of Multidimensional Poverty Measurement," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp043, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011.
"Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 476-487.
- Hulme, David & Shepherd, Andrew, 2003. "Conceptualizing Chronic Poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 403-423, March.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2011.
"On multidimensional indices of poverty,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5580, The World Bank.
- Luc J. Christiaensen & Kalanidhi Subbarao, 2005.
"Towards an Understanding of Household Vulnerability in Rural Kenya,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 14(4), pages 520-558, December.
- Christiaensen, Luc. J. & Subbarao, Kalanidhi, 2004. "Toward an understanding of household vulnerability in rural Kenya," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3326, The World Bank.
- Tateo Yoshida, 2005. "Social welfare rankings of income distributions A new parametric concept of intermediate inequality," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 557-574, 06.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Araar, Abdelkrim & Giles, John, 2010.
"Chronic and transient poverty: Measurement and estimation, with evidence from China,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 266-277, March.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Abdelkrim Araaryand & John Giles, 2006. "Chronic and Transient Poverty: Measurement and Estimation, with Evidence from China," Working Papers 35, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Jean-Yves Duclos & Abdelkrim Araar & John Giles, 2006. "Chronic and Transient Poverty: Measurement and Estimation, with Evidence from China," Cahiers de recherche 0611, CIRPEE.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves & Araar, Abdelkrim & Giles, John T., 2006. "Chronic and Transient Poverty: Measurement and Estimation, with Evidence from China," IZA Discussion Papers 2078, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Joan R. Rodgers & John L. Rodgers, 1993. "Chronic Poverty in the United States," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(1), pages 25-54.
- Jalan, Jyotsna & Ravallion, Martin, 1998. "Transient Poverty in Postreform Rural China," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 338-357, June.
- Bourguignon, F. & Chakravarty, S.R., 1998.
"The Measurement of Multidimensional Poverty,"
DELTA Working Papers
98-12, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Atkinson, A B, 1992. "Measuring Poverty and Differences in Family Composition," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 59(233), pages 1-16, February.
- Ethan Ligon & Laura Schechter, 2003.
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(486), pages C95-C102, March.
- Ligon, Ethan & Schechter, Laura, 2002. "Measuring Vulnerability," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19899, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ligon, Ethan & Laura Schechter, 2002. "Measuring Vulnerability," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 128, Royal Economic Society.
- Atkinson, Tony & Cantillon, Bea & Marlier, Eric & Nolan, Brian, 2002. "Social Indicators: The EU and Social Inclusion," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199253494.
- Hoy, Michael & Scott B., Thompson & Zheng, Buhong, 2010.
"Empirical Issues in Lifetime Poverty Measurement,"
Working Paper Series
wp2010-73, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1976. "Unequal inequalities. II," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 82-111, August.
- Daria Mendola & Annalisa Busetta & Anna Maria Milito, 2011. "Combining the intensity and sequencing of the poverty experience: a class of longitudinal poverty indices," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 174(4), pages 953-973, October.
- Cesar Calvo & Stefan Dercon, 2007.
"Chronic Poverty and All That: The Measurement of Poverty over Time,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2007-04, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Cesar Calvo & Stefan Dercon, 2007. "Chronic Poverty and All That: The Measurement of Poverty over Time," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2007-04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Kolm, Serge-Christophe, 1976. "Unequal inequalities. I," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 416-442, June.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Bourguignon, Francois, 1982. "The Comparison of Multi-Dimensioned Distributions of Economic Status," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 183-201, April.
- Daria Mendola & Annalisa Busetta, 2012. "The Importance Of Consecutive Spells Of Poverty: A Path-Dependent Index Of Longitudinal Poverty," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 58(2), pages 355-374, 06.
- Foster, James E & Shorrocks, Anthony F, 1991. "Subgroup Consistent Poverty Indices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 687-709, May.
- Guillermo Cruces & Quentin T. Wodon, 2003. "Transient and chronic poverty in turbulent times: Argentina 1995-2002," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 9(3), pages 1-12.
- Chakravarty, Satya R. & Deutsch, Joseph & Silber, Jacques, 2008. "On the Watts Multidimensional Poverty Index and its Decomposition," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1067-1077, June.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:9:y:2003:i:3:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kai-yuen Tsui, 2002. "Multidimensional poverty indices," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 69-93.
- Buhong Zheng, 2007. "Inequality orderings and unit consistency," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 515-538, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.