Monitoring Child Well-being in the European Union: Measuring cumulative deprivation
AbstractThis paper describes and empirically tests a number of candidate measures of cumulative deprivation to monitor child well-being in the EU.The authors posit that the ideal measure should be sensitive to changes in the depth of cumulative deprivation and, given its broad use in the policy community, has an intuitive interpretation. Using the 2007 wave of the EU-SILC data, the authors constructed several measures of cumulative deprivation from a set of 13 deprivation indicators for Germany, France, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre in its series Innocenti Working Papers with number inwopa635.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C0 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2011-07-27 (European Economics)
- NEP-EUR-2011-07-27 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-HAP-2011-07-27 (Economics of Happiness)
- NEP-LTV-2011-07-27 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Layte & Bertrand Maître & Brian Nolan & Christopher T. Whelan, 1999. "Income, Deprivation and Economic Strain: An Analysis of the European Community Household Panel," Papers WP109, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Decancq, Koen & Lugo, María Ana, 2010.
"Weights in multidimensional indices of well-being: an overview,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/262767, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Koen Decancq & María Ana Lugo, 2013. "Weights in Multidimensional Indices of Wellbeing: An Overview," Econometric Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 7-34, January.
- Koen DECANCQ & María Ana LUGO, 2010. "Weights in multidimensional indices of well-being: an overview," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces10.06, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Streeten, Paul, 1984. "Basic needs: Some unsettled questions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(9), pages 973-978, September.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi, Ruhi Saith and Frances Stewart, .
"Does it matter that we don't agree on the definition of poverty? A comparison of four approaches,"
QEH Working Papers
qehwps107, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Caterina Ruggeri Laderchi & Ruhi Saith & Frances Stewart, 2003. "Does it Matter that we do not Agree on the Definition of Poverty? A Comparison of Four Approaches," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 31(3), pages 243-274.
- Sabina Alkire and Maria Emma Santos, 2010.
"Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries,"
OPHI Working Papers
ophiwp038, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Alkire, Sabina & Santos, María Emma, 2011. "Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 3, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Sabina Alkire & Maria Emma Santos, 2010. "Acute Multidimensional Poverty: A New Index for Developing Countries," Human Development Research Papers (2009 to present) HDRP-2010-11, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Christopher T. Whelan & Brian Nolan & Bertrand Maitre, 2008. "Measuring Material Deprivation in the Enlarged EU," Papers WP249, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Geranda Notten & Keetie Roelen & UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre, 2011. "The Breadth of Child Poverty in Europe: An investigation into overlap and accumulation of deprivations," Innocenti Working Papers inwopa636, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patrizia Faustini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.