Attitudes to Inequality after Ten Years of Transition
AbstractThis paper compares people’s attitudes to inequality at the end of the 1990s the qualities they perceive are needed to get ahead, the role of government and rewards for employment in Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) and Western countries. Data (from the 1999 International Social Survey Programme) suggest that overall, people in CEE express substantially more ‘egalitarian’ attitudes than those in the West, even after 10 years of economic adjustment to the market economy. The research produces important messages for policymakers, underlining the degree of support for public action concerning redistribution and warning them of the extent to which inequalities are felt in society, especially those that are perceived to be generated by ‘unfair’ means.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre in its series Innocenti Working Papers with number inwopa02/21.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P3 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions
- P36 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Consumer Economics; Health; Education and Training; Welfare, Income, Wealth, and Poverty
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ekaterina Selezneva, 2010.
"Surveying transitional experience and subjective well-being : Income, work, family,"
279, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Selezneva, Ekaterina, 2011. "Surveying transitional experience and subjective well-being: Income, work, family," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 139-157, June.
- Micklewright, John, 2004.
"Child Poverty in English-Speaking Countries,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1113, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lübker, Malte, 2005. "Globalization and perceptions of social inequality," ILO Working Papers 376167, International Labour Organization.
- Suhrcke, Marc, 2001. "Preferences for inequality : East vs. West," HWWA Discussion Papers 150, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patrizia Faustini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.