Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of the Number of Components in Multivariate Mixtures
AbstractThis article analyzes the identifiability of the number of components in k-variate, M-component finite mixture models in which each component distribution has independent marginals, including models in latent class analysis. Without making parametric assumptions on the component distributions, we investigate how one can identify the number of components from the distribution function of the observed data. When k>=2, a lower bound on the number of components (M) is nonparametrically identifiable from the rank of a matrix constructed from the distribution function of the observed variables. Building on this identification condition, we develop a procedure to consistently estimate a lower bound on the number of components.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-866.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Kasahara Hiroyuki & Shimotsu Katsumi, 2012. "Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of the Number of Components in Multivariate Mixtures," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd12-247, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Hall & Amnon Neeman & Reza Pakyari & Ryan Elmore, 2005. "Nonparametric inference in multivariate mixtures," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 92(3), pages 667-678, September.
- I. R. Cruz-Medina & T. P. Hettmansperger & H. Thomas, 2004. "Semiparametric mixture models and repeated measures: the multinomial cut point model," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 53(3), pages 463-474.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Burda, Maike M., 1997. "Modified Wald tests under nonregular conditions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 315-332, June.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1987.
"Asymptotic Results for Generalized Wald Tests,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 348-358, June.
- M. Levine & D. R. Hunter & D. Chauveau, 2011. "Maximum smoothed likelihood for multivariate mixtures," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 98(2), pages 403-416.
- Kleibergen, Frank & Paap, Richard, 2006.
"Generalized reduced rank tests using the singular value decomposition,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 97-126, July.
- Kleibergen, F.R. & Paap, R., 2003. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2003-01, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Frank Kleibergen & Richard Paap, 2003. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-003/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Richard Paap & Frank Kleibergen, 2004. "Generalized Reduced Rank Tests using the Singular Value Decomposition," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 195, Econometric Society.
- Dunson, David B. & Xing, Chuanhua, 2009. "Nonparametric Bayes Modeling of Multivariate Categorical Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(487), pages 1042-1051.
- T. P. Hettmansperger & Hoben Thomas, 2000. "Almost nonparametric inference for repeated measures in mixture models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 811-825.
- Hiroyuki Kasahara & Katsumi Shimotsu, 2009. "Nonparametric Identification of Finite Mixture Models of Dynamic Discrete Choices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(1), pages 135-175, 01.
- Robert Mislevy, 1984. "Estimating latent distributions," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 49(3), pages 359-381, September.
- Woo, Mi-Ja & Sriram, T.N., 2006. "Robust Estimation of Mixture Complexity," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1475-1486, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.