Estimating Interregional Utility Differentials
AbstractThe examination of long-term Japanese data on interregional migration revealed three stylized facts of migration behavior. Based on the facts, we formulated an operational model and estimated interregional utility differentials. We found that the interregional utility differentials have been converging until the late 1970s. We showed that the utility estimates are highly correlated with per capita real income. We also applied the model to interregional migration in the United States and Canada as well as the interindustry movement in Japan and confirmed the model's validity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-496.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: May 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-MIG-2007-08-08 (Economics of Human Migration)
- NEP-UPT-2007-08-08 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yasuhiro Sato & Takatoshi Tabuchi & Kazuhiro Yamamoto, 2012.
"Market size and entrepreneurship,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 12(6), pages 1139-1166, November.
- Yasuhiro Sato & Takatoshi Tabuchi & Kazuhiro Yamamoto, 2009. "Market Size and Entrepreneurship," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 09-07, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- SATO Yasuhiro & TABUCHI Takatoshi & YAMAMOTO Kazuhiro, 2012. "Market Size and Entrepreneurship," Discussion papers 12002, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Matthias Wrede, 2012.
"Wages, Rents, Unemployment, and the Quality of Life,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3803, CESifo Group Munich.
- Wrede, Matthias, 2012. "Wages, Rents, Unemployment, and the Quality of Life," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62034, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Wrede, Matthias, 2012. "Wages, rents, unemployment, and the quality of life," IWQW Discussion Paper Series 01/2012, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Institut für Wirtschaftspolitik und Quantitative Wirtschaftsforschung (IWQW).
- Wrede, Matthias, 2012. "Wages, rents, unemployment, and the quality of life," IWQW Discussion Paper Series 01/2012 [rev.], Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Institut für Wirtschaftspolitik und Quantitative Wirtschaftsforschung (IWQW).
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Tobias D. Ketterer, 2012.
"Do local amenities affect the appeal of regions in Europe for migrants?,"
2012-04, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Tobias D. Ketterer, 2012. "Do Local Amenities Affect The Appeal Of Regions In Europe For Migrants?," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 535-561, October.
- Ketterer, Tobias & Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés, 2012. "Do Local Amenities Affect the Appeal of Regions in Europe for Migrants?," CEPR Discussion Papers 8964, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Partridge, Mark & Betz, Mike, 2012. "Country Road Take Me Home: Migration Patterns in the Appalachia America and Place-Based Policy," MPRA Paper 38293, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.