Market Microstructure: Theory and Empirics
AbstractThis paper reviews the literature on market microstructure. Particular emphasis is given to the research dealing with the impact that a specific trading mechanism might have on price behaviour and with the comparison of the performance of alternative market structures. Theoretical models and empirical studies investigating their implications are explored. The major statistical properties and reguliarities of microstructural data are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy in its series LEM Papers Series with number 1999/19.
Date of creation: 28 Nov 1999
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-05-03 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harris, Lawrence & Sofianos, George & Shapiro, James E, 1994. "Program Trading and Intraday Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(4), pages 653-85.
- Seppi, Duane J, 1992. "Block Trading and Information Revelation around Quarterly Earnings Announcements," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 281-305.
- Goodhart, C A E, et al, 1993. "New Effects in a High-Frequency Model of the Sterling-Dollar Exchange Rate," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 1-13, Jan.-Marc.
- Biais, Bruno & Hillion, Pierre & Spatt, Chester, 1995. " An Empirical Analysis of the Limit Order Book and the Order Flow in the Paris Bourse," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1655-89, December.
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
- French, Kenneth R. & Roll, Richard, 1986. "Stock return variances : The arrival of information and the reaction of traders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 5-26, September.
- Stoll, Hans R, 1978.
"The Supply of Dealer Services in Securities Markets,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1133-51, September.
- Hans R. Stoll, . "The Supply of Dealer Services in Securities Markets," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 2-78, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Hans R. Stoll, . "The Supply of Dealer Services in Securities Markets," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 02-78, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Richard K. Lyons, 1996.
"Foreign Exchange Volume: Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing?,"
in: The Microstructure of Foreign Exchange Markets, pages 183-208
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard K. Lyons, 1995. "Foreign Exchange Volume: Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing?," NBER Working Papers 4984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard K. Lyons., 1995. "Foreign Exchange Volume: Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing?," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-243, University of California at Berkeley.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1993. "Differences of Opinion Make a Horse Race," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(3), pages 473-506.
- Goodhart, C A E & Giugale, M, 1993. "From Hour to Hour in the Foreign Exchange Market," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 61(1), pages 1-34, March.
- Hogan, Kedreth Jr. & Melvin, Michael T., 1994. "Sources of meteor showers and heat waves in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3-4), pages 239-247, November.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Glosten, Lawrence R, 1994. " Is the Electronic Open Limit Order Book Inevitable?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1127-61, September.
- Dacorogna, Michael M. & Muller, Ulrich A. & Nagler, Robert J. & Olsen, Richard B. & Pictet, Olivier V., 1993. "A geographical model for the daily and weekly seasonal volatility in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 413-438, August.
- Jain, Prem C. & Joh, Gun-Ho, 1988. "The Dependence between Hourly Prices and Trading Volume," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(03), pages 269-283, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.