Combined Micro-Finance: Selected Research Questions from a Stakeholder Point of View
AbstractThere is a growing interest in combined micro-finance schemes delivering both micro-insurance and micro-credit products to provide a more comprehensive response to existing market failures often leading to a lack of access to financial services for excluded populations. Despite its increasingly widespread practice, the issue of combined micro-finance has received relatively little attention and various specific research questions remain underexplored such as: Does combining credit and insurance services improve or weaken overall organisational performance of micro-finance schemes? Does the combining of micro-finance services lead to more inclusion or to more exclusion of the poor? and; Are combined micro-finance schemes enhancing or challenging donor effectiveness? This paper builds on a literature review and is a first conceptual attempt to bring forward the specific characteristics of combined micro-finance schemes. It argues for a more formative evaluation approach towards combining micro-finance schemes. Market dynamics and interventions of the key players and stakeholders of combined micro-finance should aim at becoming most efficient, allowing maximum socio-economic benefits and efficiency, taking into account the different challenges of reaching the poor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series Working Papers CEB with number 08-004.RS.
Length: 34 p.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP114/03, 42 avenue F.D. Roosevelt, 1050 Bruxelles
Phone: +32 (0)2 650.48.64
Fax: +32 (0)2 650.41.88
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koen Rossel-Cambier & Tom Olsen & Niloufar Pourzand, 2007. "Investing in knowledge for evidence-based social policies for children: two case studies of knowledge dissemination initiatives in the Eastern Caribbean," Working Papers CEB 07-040.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marc Labie & Marthe Nyssens & Pascal Wélé, 2007.
"Microfinance et micro-assurance santé : réflexions sur des articulations possibles à partir de quelques expériences au Bénin et au Burkina Faso,"
Mondes en développement,
De Boeck Université, vol. 0(3), pages 57-71.
- Marc Labie & Marthe Nyssens & Pascal Wele, 2007. "Microfinance et micro-assurance santé: réflexions sur des articulations possibles à partir de quelques expériences au Bénin et au Burkina Faso," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14275, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bastiaensen, Johan & Herdt, Tom De & D'Exelle, Ben, 2005. "Poverty reduction as a local institutional process," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 979-993, June.
- Beatriz Armendariz & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "The Economics of Microfinance," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262512017, June.
- Cull, Robert & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2006.
"Financial performance and outreach : a global analysis of leading microbanks,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3827, The World Bank.
- Robert Cull & Asli Demirguç-Kunt & Jonathan Morduch, 2007. "Financial performance and outreach: a global analysis of leading microbanks," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(517), pages F107-F133, 02.
- Marc Labie, 2004. "Microfinance : un état des lieux," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 126(2), pages 9-23.
- Cécile Lapenu & Manfred Zeller & Martin Greely & Renée Chao-Béroff & Koenraad Verhagen, 2004. "Performances sociales : Une raison d'être des institutions de microfinance et pourtant encore peu mesurées. Quelques pistes," Mondes en développement, De Boeck Université, vol. 126(2), pages 51-68.
- Isabelle Agier & Ariane Szafarz, 2011. "Credit to Women Entrepreneurs: The Curse of the Trustworthier Sex," Working Papers CEB 11-005, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Koen Rossel-Cambier, 2011. "Is Combined Microfinance an Instrument to enhance Sustainable Pro-Poor Public Policy Outcomes?," Working Papers CEB 11-013, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Koen Rossel-Cambier, 2011. "Understanding the Dynamics of Product Diversification on Microfinance Performance Outcomes: A Case Study in Barbados," Working Papers CEB 11-008, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.