Perspectivas Teóricas sobre a Relação das Organizações com o Meio Ambiente
AbstractThis work aims to discuss the theoretical perspectives interested in studying the relationship between organizations and their environment. First, the rational, mechanistic and closed system approach, ignores the existence of the relationship between organizations and environment and any kind of external influence on the functioning of organizations. Subsequently, the application of systemic theory to the study of organizations promotes the notion of open system and the environment variable is introduced in organizational analysis. The works supported by contingency theory recognized the dependence of organizations to the environment, the influence that environmental constraints have in organizational structures and argue that firms performance depends on its ability to adapt to the environment. The relational dynamics between organization and environment is explored in a more "specialized" way, but complementary, in sociological and political and economic approaches. In this case, the theories start from the common idea that the organization's external environment may represent a critical source of ideas, rules, opportunities, resources and constraints.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Socius, Socio-Economics Research Centre at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG) of the Technical University of Lisbon in its series Working Papers with number wp022012.
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: R. Miguel Lupi, 20, 1249-078 LISBOA
Fax: +351-213 925 850
Web page: http://pascal.iseg.utl.pt/~socius/home.html
More information through EDIRC
Organizations; Environment; Organizational Structure; System;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huault, Isabelle & Charreire-Petit, Sandra, 2002. "Les grands auteurs en management," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/617, Paris Dauphine University.
- Isabelle Huault, 2009.
"Paul DiMaggio et Walter Powell. Des organisations en quête de légitimité,"
- Huault, Isabelle, 2009. "Paul DiMaggio et Walter W. Powell, des organisations en quête de légitimité," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7570, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mónica Fraga).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.