Effects of Ownership and Market Share on Performance of Mobile Operators in MENA Region
AbstractThe process of telecommunication liberalization and increased competition evolves fast and as a result the market competition and the structure of mobile industry changes heterogeneously across the Middle East and North African (MENA) countries. This study attempts to analyze the effects of foreign ownership and the market share on the traffic and financial performance of mobile operators in MENA region. To achieve these objectives, we analyze the mobile industry¡¯s performances using an unbalanced panel data of 13 mobile operators observed over the period from 2002 to 2007. The empirical results showed that both foreign ownership and a higher market share have a significant positive impact on traffic, revenues, returns on sales and returns on investment of mobile operators in the MENA region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP) in its series TEMEP Discussion Papers with number 200921.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2009
Date of revision: Nov 2009
MENA; mobile operator; foreign ownership; market share; profitability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ros, Agustin J, 1999. "Does Ownership or Competition Matter? The Effects of Telecommunications Reform on Network Expansion and Efficiency," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 65-92, January.
- Nakil Sung, 2007. "Information technology, efficiency and productivity: evidence from Korean local governments," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(13), pages 1691-1703.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001.
"International provision of trade services, trade, and fragmentation,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2548, The World Bank.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 2001. "International Provision of Trade Services, Trade, and Fragmentation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 233-48, May.
- Deardorff, A.V., 2000. "International Provision of Trade Services, Trade, and Fragmentation," Working Papers 463, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Feeny, Simon & Rogers, Mark, 2000. "The Role of Market Share and Concentration in Firm Profitability: Implications for Competition Policy," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 30(2), pages 115-132, September.
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asl[iota] & Huizinga, Harry, 2001. "How does foreign entry affect domestic banking markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 891-911, May.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004.
"Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transitition countries,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Kasuga, Norihiro & Shishikura, Manabu, 2006. "Determinants of profit in the broadcasting industry: Evidence from Japanese micro data," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 216-228, June.
- Chengqi Wang & Pamela Siler & Xiaming Liu, 2002. "The relative economic performance of foreign subsidiaries in UK manufacturing," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(15), pages 1885-1892.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Chang, Hsi-hui & Majumdar, Sumit K., 1995. "The consequences of evolving competition on the components of firms' profits: Recent evidence from the U.S. telecommunications industry," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 37-56, April.
- Chhibber, Pradeep K & Majumdar, Sumit K, 1999. "Foreign Ownership and Profitability: Property Rights, Control, and the Performance of Firms in Indian Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(1), pages 209-38, April.
- George C. Bitros, 2003. "Firm Ownership and Economic Efficiency," Microeconomics 0303002, EconWPA.
- Li, Xiaoying & Liu, Xiaming, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: An Increasingly Endogenous Relationship," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 393-407, March.
- Sarkar, Jayati & Sarkar, Subrata & Bhaumik, Sumon K., 1998. "Does Ownership Always Matter?--Evidence from the Indian Banking Industry," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 262-281, June.
- Oetzel, Jennifer M. & Banerjee, Sudeshna Ghosh, 2008. "A case of the tortoise versus the hare? Deregulation process, timing, and firm performance in emerging markets," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 54-77, February.
- Willmore, Larry N., 1986. "The comparative performance of foreign and domestic firms in Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 489-502, April.
- Ying Ge & Yasheng Chen, 2008. "Foreign Ownership and Productivity of Joint Ventures," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 895-920.
- Newfarmer, Richard S. & Marsh, Lawrence C., 1981. "Foreign ownership, market structure and industrial performance : Brazil's electrical industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 47-75, February.
- Ilko Naaborg & Robert Lensink, 2008. "Banking in transition economies: does foreign ownership enhance profitability?," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(7), pages 545-562.
- Al-mutawkkil, Adnan & Heshmati, Almas & Hwang, Junseok, 0. "Development of telecommunication and broadcasting infrastructure indices at the global level," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3-4), pages 176-199, April.
- Sophia Dimelis & Helen Louri, 2002. "Foreign ownership and production efficiency: a quantile regression analysis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(3), pages 449-469, July.
- Markell, Stephen J. & Neeley, Sue E. & Strickland, Thomas H., 1988. "Explaining profitability: Dispelling the market share fog," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 189-196, May.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki, 1994. "Stochastic frontier production analysis: Measuring performance of public telecommunications in 24 OECD countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 466-478, May.
- Almas Heshmati, 2003.
"Productivity Growth, Efficiency and Outsourcing in Manufacturing and Service Industries,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 79-112, February.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2000. "Productivity Growth, Efficiency and Outsourcing in Manufacturing and Service Industries," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 394, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 18 Oct 2001.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jorn Altmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.