Are Unit Export Values Correct Measures of the Exports' Quality?
AbstractIt has become common to measure the quality of exports using their unit export value (UEV). Applications of this method include studies of intra-industry trade (IIT) and analyses of industrial 'competitiveness'. This literature seems to assume that export quality and export price (the most natural interpretation of UEV) are not merely correlated but that they follow each other one-for-one. We put this assumption under scrutiny from both a theoretical and empirical point of view. In terms of theory, we formalize this assumption as a hypothesis of the proportionality of equilibrium prices and equilibrium qualities. We discuss several cases for which this hypothesis is theoretically doubtful (non-linear utility- and cost functions; strong and asymmetric horizontal product differentiation). We also suggest two methods of verifying the hypothesis for cases in which it cannot be easily rejected theoretically. These two methods are then applied to German imports in the period of 1994-2006. We find that the implications of the proportionality hypothesis are largely contradicted by the data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research in its series CASE Network Studies and Analyses with number 0393.
Length: 27 Pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
export quality; unit export value; intra-industry trade; competitiveness;
Other versions of this item:
- Szczygielski, Krzysztof & Grabowski, Wojciech, 2012. "Are unit export values correct measures of the exports’ quality?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 1189-1196.
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cremer, Helmuth & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1993.
"Commodity Taxation in a Differentiated Oligopoly,"
IDEI Working Papers
25, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Cremer, H. & Thisse, J.-F., . "Commodity taxation in a differentiated oligopoly," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1112, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- CREMER, Helmut & THISSE, Jacques-François, 1992. "Commodity taxation in a differentiated oligopoly," CORE Discussion Papers 1992035, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Andrew Atkeson & Ariel Burstein, 2007.
"Pricing-to-market, trade costs, and international relative prices,"
Working Paper Series
2007-26, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Andrew Atkeson & Ariel Burstein, 2008. "Pricing-to-Market, Trade Costs, and International Relative Prices," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(5), pages 1998-2031, December.
- Andrew Atkeson & Ariel Burstein, 2008. "Pricing-to-market, trade costs, and international relative prices," Staff Report 404, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Gabszewicz, J.J. & Thisse, J.-F., .
"Product differentiation with income disparities: an illustrative model,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-494, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1982. "Product Differentiation with Income Disparities: An Illustrative Model," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(1-2), pages 115-29, September.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michael Freudenberg & Guillaume Gaulier, 2006. "A Systematic Decomposition of World Trade into Horizontal and Vertical IIT," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(3), pages 459-475, October.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Hallak, Juan Carlos, 2006. "Product quality and the direction of trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 238-265, January.
- Uwe Dulleck & Neil Foster & Robert Stehrer & Julia Woerz, 2005. "Dimensions of quality upgrading," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(1), pages 51-76, 01.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1987. "Product Differentiation and Industrial Structure," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(2), pages 131-46, December.
- Dorothée Brécard, 2009.
"On production costs in vertical differentiation models,"
- Brécard, Dorothée, 2010. "On production costs in vertical differentiation models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 109(3), pages 183-186, December.
- Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold, et al, 1981.
"International Trade in Differentiated Products,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(3), pages 527-34, October.
- Joakim Gullstrand, 2002. "Does the measurement of intra-industry trade matter?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(2), pages 317-339, June.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Jørgen Nielsen & Teit Lüthje, 2002. "Tests of the empirical classification of horizontal and vertical intra-industry trade," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(4), pages 587-604, December.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Peter K. Schott, 2011.
"Estimating Cross-Country Differences in Product Quality,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 126(1), pages 417-474.
- Juan Carlos Hallak & Peter K. Schott, 2008. "Estimating Cross-Country Differences in Product Quality," NBER Working Papers 13807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1983. "Natural Oligopolies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1469-83, September.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1984. "Tobit models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 3-61.
- Crespo, Nuno & Simões, Nádia, 2012. "On the measurement of a multidimensional concept of structural similarity," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 115-117.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katarzyna SidÅ‚o).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.