Estimating the Out-of-Hospital Mortality Rate Using Patient Discharge Data
AbstractThis paper is a case study of the use of public use administrative data for the estimation of empirical relations when key dependent variables are not available in the data. It is shown that the out-of-hospital mortality rates can be identified using the patient discharge data without post-discharge death records. Using data on the lengths of hospitalizations and out-of-hospital spells, the mortality rates before and after discharge as well as discharge and re-hospitalization rates are estimated for a sample of heart-attack patients hospitalized in California between 1992 and 1998. The results suggest that ignoring variation of discharge rates among hospital types could be misleading in evaluating hospital performance regarding mortality risks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR) in its series IEPR Working Papers with number 06.45.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Mortality; Hospital quality; Duration models; Survival analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Mehdi Farsi & Geert Ridder, 2006. "Estimating the out-of-hospital mortality rate using patient discharge data," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(9), pages 983-995.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cutler, D.M., 1992.
"The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcome Under Prospective Payment,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1603, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Cutler, David M, 1995. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes under Prospective Payment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 29-50, January.
- David M. Cutler, 1993. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes Under Prospective Payments," NBER Working Papers 4300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Janet Currie & Mehdi Farsi & W. Bentley MacLeod, 2003.
"Cut to the Bone? Hospital Takeovers and Nurse Employment Contracts,"
NBER Working Papers
9428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Janet Currie & Mehdi Farsi & W. Bentley Macleod, 2005. "Cut to the bone? Hospital takeovers and nurse employment contracts," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 58(3), pages 494-514, April.
- John Geweke & Gautam Gowrisankaran & Robert J. Town, 2001.
"Bayesian Inference for Hospital Quality in a Selection Model,"
NBER Working Papers
8497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Geweke & Gautam Gowrisankaran & Robert J. Town, 2003. "Bayesian Inference for Hospital Quality in a Selection Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1215-1238, 07.
- Sloan Frank A., 2002.
"Hospital Ownership Conversions: Defining the Appropriate Public Oversight Role,"
Forum for Health Economics & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-46, January.
- Frank A. Sloan, 2002. "Hospital Ownership Conversions: Defining the Appropriate Public Oversight Role," NBER Chapters, in: Frontiers in Health Policy Research, Volume 5, pages 123-166 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tuma, Nancy Brandon & Robins, Philip K, 1980. "A Dynamic Model of Employment Behavior: An Application to the Seattle and Denver Income Maintenance Experiments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 1031-52, May.
- Chou, Shin-Yi, 2002. "Asymmetric information, ownership and quality of care: an empirical analysis of nursing homes," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 293-311, March.
- Mehdi Farsi, 2004. "Changes in Hospital Quality after Conversion in Ownership Status," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 211-230, 09.
- Mark B. McClellan & Douglas O. Staiger, 2000.
"Comparing Hospital Quality at For-Profit and Not- for-Profit Hospitals,"
in: The Changing Hospital Industry: Comparing For-Profit and Not-for-Profit Institutions, pages 93-112
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark McClellan & Douglas Staiger, 1999. "Comparing Hospital Quality at For-Profit and Not-for-Profit Hospitals," NBER Working Papers 7324, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ho, Vivian & Hamilton, Barton H., 2000. "Hospital mergers and acquisitions: does market consolidation harm patients?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 767-791, September.
- Sloan, Frank A., 2000. "Not-for-profit ownership and hospital behavior," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 21, pages 1141-1174 Elsevier.
- Burdett, Kenneth & Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Sharma, Sunil, 1985. "Layoffs and duration dependence in a model of turnover," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 51-69, April.
- Kathleen Carey & James F. Burgess, 1999. "On measuring the hospital cost|quality trade-off," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(6), pages 509-520.
- Gowrisankaran, Gautam & Town, Robert J., 1999. "Estimating the quality of care in hospitals using instrumental variables," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 747-767, December.
- Jones, A.M, 2010. "Models For Health Care," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 10/01, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Daysal, N. Meltem, 2012.
"Does Uninsurance Affect the Health Outcomes of the Insured? Evidence from Heart Attack Patients in California,"
2012-027, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Daysal, N. Meltem, 2012. "Does uninsurance affect the health outcomes of the insured? Evidence from heart attack patients in California," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 545-563.
- Daysal, N. Meltem, 2012. "Does Uninsurance Affect the Health Outcomes of the Insured? Evidence from Heart Attack Patients in California," IZA Discussion Papers 6418, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paul H. Jensen & Elizabeth Webster & Julia Witt, 2009.
"Hospital type and patient outcomes: an empirical examination using AMI readmission and mortality records,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(12), pages 1440-1460.
- Paul H. Jensen & Elizabeth Webster & Julia Witt, 2007. "Hospital Type and Patient Outcomes: An Empirical Examination Using AMI Re-admission and Mortality Records," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2007n31, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Farideh Motamedi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.