On measuring the hospital cost|quality trade-off
AbstractThis paper explores the relationship between cost and quality of hospital care. A total operating cost function is estimated for 137 US Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals for 1988-1993 using three rate-based measures of quality as regressors. The high likelihood of the existence of measurement error in quality in the cross section leads to the application of novel instrumental variable techniques. Results suggest that mortality and readmission indices are adjusted inadequately for illness severity. The measure on the failure to follow up inpatient discharges with outpatient care, however, appears to increase cost. The results of this paper underscore a number of practical difficulties and challenges facing government or other systems in evaluating the relative performance of their hospitals. Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Health Economics.
Volume (Year): 8 (1999)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Griliches, Zvi & Hausman, Jerry A., 1986.
"Errors in variables in panel data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 93-118, February.
- Vita, Michael G., 1990. "Exploring hospital production relationships with flexible functional forms," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Grannemann, Thomas W. & Brown, Randall S. & Pauly, Mark V., 1986. "Estimating hospital costs : A multiple-output analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 107-127, June.
- Gertler, Paul J & Waldman, Donald M, 1992. "Quality-Adjusted Cost Functions and Policy Evaluation in the Nursing Home Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1232-56, December.
- Niccie L. McKay & Mary E. Deily, 2008. "Cost inefficiency and hospital health outcomes," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(7), pages 833-848.
- Anne Hvenegaard & Jacob Arendt & Andrew Street & Dorte Gyrd-Hansen, 2011.
"Exploring the relationship between costs and quality: Does the joint evaluation of costs and quality alter the ranking of Danish hospital departments?,"
The European Journal of Health Economics,
Springer, vol. 12(6), pages 541-551, December.
- Anne, Hvenegaard & Nielsen Arendt, Jacob & Gyrd-Hansen, Dorte & Street, Andrew, 2010. "Exploring the relationship between costs and quality - Does the joint evaluation of costs and quality alter the ranking of Danish hospital departments?," COHERE Working Paper 2009:6, COHERE - Centre of Health Economics Research, University of Southern Denmark.
- Charles Hegji, 2006. "Correlates of hospital quality: a preliminary study," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 9(4), pages 1-13.
- Mary E. Deily & Niccie L. McKay, 2006. "Cost inefficiency and mortality rates in Florida hospitals," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 419-431.
- Mehdi Farsi & Geert Ridder, 2006.
"Estimating the out-of-hospital mortality rate using patient discharge data,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(9), pages 983-995.
- Mehdi Farsi & Geert Ridder, 2006. "Estimating the Out-of-Hospital Mortality Rate Using Patient Discharge Data," IEPR Working Papers 06.45, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Heimeshoff, Mareike & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2013. "Estimation of a physician practice cost function," hche Research Papers 2013/07, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche), University of Hamburg.
- Suthathip Yaisawarng & James F. Burgess, 2006. "Performance-based budgeting in the public sector: an illustration from the VA health care system," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 295-310.
- Juha Laine & Miika Linna & Unto Häkkinen & Anja Noro, 2005. "Measuring the productive efficiency and clinical quality of institutional long-term care for the elderly," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 245-256.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.