Openness and efficiency in Brazilian banking
AbstractBrazil has recently made great strides in opening its domestic banking market to foreign participation, contrary to what one would have expected from its negotiating stance in regional and multilateral fora dealing with trade in financial services. We review the possible gains from such unilateral liberalization move, and proceed to measure one specific gain that appears most promising: improvements in cost efficiency in the production of banking services. Our results indicate that these gains indeed materialized, although not to the same extent in all segments of the banking market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil) in its series Textos para discussão with number 390.
Length: 39 pages
Date of creation: Sep 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Rua Marquês de São Vicente, 225, 22453-900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Phone: 021 35271078
Fax: 021 35271084
Web page: http://www.econ.puc-rio.br
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Battese, George E. & Coelli, Tim J., 1988. "Prediction of firm-level technical efficiencies with a generalized frontier production function and panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 387-399, July.
- Bhattacharyya, Arunava & Lovell, C. A. K. & Sahay, Pankaj, 1997. "The impact of liberalization on the productive efficiency of Indian commercial banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 332-345, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1994.
"The efficiency cost of market power in the banking industry: a test of the "quiet life" and related hypotheses,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
94-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1998. "The Efficiency Cost Of Market Power In The Banking Industry: A Test Of The "Quiet Life" And Related Hypotheses," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 454-465, August.
- Allen Berger & Timothy Hannan, 1994. "The Efficiency Cost of Market Power in the Banking Industry: A Test of the 'Quiet Life' and Related Hypotheses," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 94-29, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "How does foreign entry affect the domestic banking market?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1918, The World Bank.
- Vivas, Ana Lozano, 1997. "Profit efficiency for Spanish savings banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 381-394, April.
- Moshirian, Faroborz, 1994. "What determines the supply of international financial services?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 495-504, May.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989.
"Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels,"
89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Taylor, William M. & Thompson, Russell G. & Thrall, Robert M. & Dharmapala, P. S., 1997. "DEA/AR efficiency and profitability of Mexican banks a total income model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 346-363, April.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1990. "Production frontiers, panel data, and time-varying technical inefficiency," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 201-211.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C, 1984. "Production Frontiers and Panel Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 367-74, October.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C., 1991. "Estimation of technical inefficiency in panel data models with firm- and time-specific effects," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 43-48, May.
- William C. Gruben & John H. Welch, 2001. "Banking and currency crisis recovery: Brazil's turnaround of 1999," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q IV, pages 12-23.
- Marcelo de Paiva Abreu, 1998. "Brazil, the GATT, and the WTO: history and prospects," Textos para discussÃ£o 392, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.