Communication for Multi-Taskers: Perspectives on Dealing with Both Monetary Policy and Financial Stability
AbstractThis paper examines the communications challenges facing central banks who will be sharing responsibilities with other agencies for macro-prudential objectives, in addition to conventional monetary policy goals. Following a description and analysis of surveys of central banks, and the attributes that make up an index of central bank transparency, some policy proposals are made. It is argued that a hybrid of inflation and price level targeting, combined with a requirement by the macro-prudential regulators to issue press releases much like central banks publish an announcement and rationale for the setting of monetary policy instruments, may improve the central bank communication in a post-crisis world.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its series Working Paper Series with number 04_11.
Date of creation: Jan 2011
Date of revision:
central bank communication; transparency; price level targeting;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
- E65 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Studies of Particular Policy Episodes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-01-23 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2011-01-23 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2011-01-23 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2011-01-23 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2009.
"Do Inflation-Targeting Central Banks Implicitly Target the Price Level?,"
Cahiers de recherche
2009-15, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2009. "Do Inflation-Targeting Central Banks Implicitly Target the Price Level?," Cahiers de recherche 16-2009, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Patuelli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.