The Role of Product Innovation on the Diffusion of Mobile Telephone
AbstractMost existing empirical work on technology diffusion assumes technologies to remain constant throughout the diffusion process. However, many consumer technologies improve significantly over time. Using data on the characteristics of new mobile handsets over a ten-year period and controlling for potential endogeneity problems, we find that handset quality and variety had a significant impact on the global diffusion of mobile telephony. Our estimation results further suggest that earlier empirical studies on diffusion may have attributed too much of diffusion to network effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series Discussion Papers with number 1200.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 2001.
"The evolution of markets under entry and standards regulation -- the case of global mobile telecommunications,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1189-1212, July.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 2000. "The Evolution of Markets Under Entry and Standards Regulation - The Case of Global Mobile Telecommunications," CEPR Discussion Papers 2440, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Grajek, Michal & Kretschmer, Tobias, 2009.
"Usage and diffusion of cellular telephony, 1998-2004,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 238-249, March.
- Michal Grajek & Tobias Kretschmer, 2006. "Usage and Diffusion of Cellular Telephony, 1998-2004," CIG Working Papers SP II 2006-20, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Michal Grajek & Tobias Kretschmer, 2007. "Usage and diffusion of cellular telephony, 1998-2004," ESMT Research Working Papers ESMT-07-003, ESMT European School of Management and Technology.
- Michal Grajek & Tobias Kretschmer, 2006. "Usage and Diffusion of Cellular Telephony, 1998-2004," Working Papers 06-21, NET Institute, revised Oct 2006.
- Koski, Heli & Kretschmer, Tobias, 2006.
"Innovation and Dominant Design in Mobile Telephone,"
1012, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2007. "Innovation and Dominant Design in Mobile Telephony," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 305-324.
- Liikanen, Jukka & Stoneman, Paul & Toivanen, Otto, 2004. "Intergenerational effects in the diffusion of new technology: the case of mobile phones," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1137-1154, November.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 1999.
"The Diffusion of Mobile Telecommunications Services in the European Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2054, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gruber, Harald & Verboven, Frank, 2001. "The diffusion of mobile telecommunications services in the European Union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 577-588, March.
- Gruber, H. & Verboven, F.L., 1998. "The Diffusion of Mobile Telecommunications Services in the European Union," Discussion Paper 1998-138, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Diego Comin & Bart Hobijn & Emilie Rovito, 2008. "A new approach to measuring technology with an application to the shape of the diffusion curves," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 187-207, April.
- Joan Crespo & Raphaël Suire & Jérôme Vicente, 2013.
"Network structural properties for cluster long run dynamics. Evidence from collaborative R&D networks in the European mobile phone industry,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen)
201336, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Joan Crespo & Raphaël Suire & Jérôme Vicente, 2013. "Network structural properties for cluster long run dynamics. Evidence from collaborative R&D networks in the European mobile phone industry," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1323, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Nov 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.