An empirical analysis of fixed and mobile broadband diffusion
AbstractBroadband communications lie at the heart of the developing information society. Employing a logistic diffusion model, we analyze the factors that influence the diffusion of fixed and mobile broadband. We find that local loop unbundling, income, population density, education, and price are significant factors in fixed broadband diffusion. For mobile broadband services, multiple standardization policy and population density are the main factors affecting their initial diffusion. Our results also suggest that in many OECD countries, mobile broadband service is a complement to fixed broadband service.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Information Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 23 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505549
Broadband diffusion; Fixed broadband; Mobile broadband; Local loop unbundling; Multiple standardization policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
- O5 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Calzada, Joan & Martínez, Fernando, 2012.
"Broadband prices in the European Union: Competition and commercial strategies,"
23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012
60382, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Joan Calzada & Fernando Martínez, 2013. "“Broadband prices in the European Union: competition and commercial strategies”," IREA Working Papers 201309, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised May 2013.
- McDonough, Carol C., 2013. "Consumer demand for fixed and mobile broadband," 24th European Regional ITS Conference, Florence 2013 88485, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Briglauer, Wolfgang, 2013. "The impact of regulation and competition on the adoption of fibre-based broadband services: Recent evidence from the European Union member states," 24th European Regional ITS Conference, Florence 2013 88494, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.