Asset Prices, Liquidity, and Monetary Policy in an Exchange Economy
AbstractI formulate a search-based asset-pricing model where equity shares and fiat money can be used as means of payment. I characterize a family of optimal stochastic monetary policies. Every policy in this family implements Friedman's prescription of zero nominal interest rates. Under an optimal policy, equity prices and returns are independent of monetary considerations. I also study a perturbation of the family of optimal policies that targets a constant but nonzero nominal interest rate. Under such policies, the average real return on equity is negatively correlated with the average inflation rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2009 Meeting Papers with number 390.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Ricardo Lagos, 2011. "Asset Prices, Liquidity, and Monetary Policy in an Exchange Economy," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43, pages 521-552, October.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boyle, Glenn W & Young, Leslie, 1988. "Asset Prices, Commodity Prices, and Money: A General Equilibrium, Rational Expectations Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 24-45, March.
- Alberto Giovannini & Pamela Labadie, 1989.
"Asset Prices and Interest Rates in Cash-In-Advance Models,"
NBER Working Papers
3109, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giovannini, Alberto & Labadie, Pamela, 1991. "Asset Prices and Interest Rates in Cash-in-Advance Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(6), pages 1215-51, December.
- Giovannini, A. & Labadie, P., 1989. "Esset Prices And Interest Rates In Cash-In-Advance Models," Papers 456, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Lagos, Ricardo & Rocheteau, Guillaume, 2008.
"Money and capital as competing media of exchange,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 247-258, September.
- Fama, Eugene F. & Schwert, G. William, 1977. "Asset returns and inflation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 115-146, November.
- B. Ravikumar & Enchuan Shao, 2005.
"Search Frictions and Asset Price Volatility,"
2005 Meeting Papers
227, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Athanasios Geromichalos & Juan M Licari & Jose Suarez-Lledo, 2007. "Monetary Policy and Asset Prices," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 10(4), pages 761-779, October.
- Afonso, Gara M. & Lagos, Ricardo, 2014.
"The Over-the-Counter Theory of the Fed Funds Market: A Primer,"
711, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Afonso, Gara M. & Lagos, Ricardo, 2014. "The over-the-counter theory of the fed funds market: a primer," Staff Reports 660, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Li, Ying-Syuan & Li, Yiting, 2013. "Liquidity and asset prices: A new monetarist approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 426-438.
- Venky Venkateswaran & Randall Wright, 2013.
"Pledgability and Liquidity: A New Monetarist Model of Financial and Macroeconomic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
19009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Venky Venkateswaran & Randall Wright, 2013. "Pledgability and Liquidity: A New Monetarist Model of Financial and Macroeconomic Activity," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2013, Volume 28, pages 227-270 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo Lagos, 2008. "The Research Agenda: Ricardo Lagos on Liquidity and the Search Theory of Money," EconomicDynamics Newsletter, Review of Economic Dynamics, vol. 10(1), November.
- Ricardo Lagos & Gara Afonso, 2010.
"Trade Dynamics in the Market for Federal Funds,"
2010 Meeting Papers
424, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Afonso, Gara M. & Lagos, Ricardo, 2014. "Trade Dynamics in the Market for Federal Funds," Working Papers 710, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Gara Afonso & Ricardo Lagos, 2012. "Trade dynamics in the market for federal funds," Staff Reports 549, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ricardo Lagos & Gara Afonson, 2011. "Trade Dynamics in the Market for Federal Funds," 2011 Meeting Papers 314, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Manjong Lee & Sung Guan Yun, 2014. "Composition of Portfolio and Cost of Inflation," Discussion Paper Series 1403, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Rocheteau, Guillaume & Wright, Randall, 2013.
"Liquidity and asset-market dynamics,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 275-294.
- Young Sik Kim & Manjong Lee, 2011.
"Intermediary Cost and Coexistence Puzzle,"
Discussion Paper Series
1103, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Hanno Lustig, 2013. "A European History Lesson for Today’s Central Bankers," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 9(1), pages 109-120, March.
- Guillaume Rocheteau & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2011.
"Liquidity in frictional asset markets,"
1105, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Jacquet, Nicolas L. & Tan, Serene, 2012. "Money and asset prices with uninsurable risks," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(8), pages 784-797.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.