Tests of the Martingale Hypothesis for Foreign Currency Futures with Time-Varying Volatility
AbstractThis paper tests the martingale hypothesis for daily and weekly rates of change of futures prices for five currencies. Daily data suggests evidence against the null for each currency. Trading day effects in foreign currency futures and spot prices introduce complicated day of the week patterns in futures prices. For this reason, we retest the martingale hypothesis using weekly data and reject the null for only one currency. For this currency, one interpretation is that of a time-varying risk premium.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen's University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 663.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: 1986
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- McCurdy, Thomas H. & Morgan, Ieuan G., 1987. "Tests of the martingale hypothesis for foreign currency futures with time-varying volatility," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 131-148.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- M. Angeles Carnero & Daniel Peña & Esther Ruiz, 2001.
"Outliers And Conditional Autoregressive Heteroscedasticity In Time Series,"
Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers
ws010704, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Carnero, María Ángeles & Peña, Daniel & Ruiz, Esther, . "Outliers and conditional autoregressive heteroscedasticity in time series," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/151, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Wang, Kai-Li & Fawson, Christopher B. & Barrett, Christopher B. & McDonald, James B., 1998.
"A Flexible Parametric Garch Model With An Application To Exchange Rates,"
Economics Research Institute, ERI Study Papers
28355, Utah State University, Economics Department.
- Kai-Li Wang & Christopher Fawson & Christopher B. Barrett & James B. McDonald, 2001. "A flexible parametric GARCH model with an application to exchange rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(4), pages 521-536.
- Wei, Steven X., 2002. "A censored-GARCH model of asset returns with price limits," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 197-223, March.
- Colavecchio , Roberta & Funke, Michael, 2006.
"Volatility transmissions between renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
16/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Colavecchio, Roberta & Funke, Michael, 2008. "Volatility transmissions between renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 635-648, December.
- Michael Funke & Roberta Colavecchio, 2008. "Volatility Transmission between Renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20812, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Roberta Colavecchio & Michael Funke, 2008. "Volatility Transmission between Renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20803, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Hsieh, Ping-Hung & Yang, J. Jimmy, 2009. "A censored stochastic volatility approach to the estimation of price limit moves," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 337-351, March.
- Atreya Chakraborty & John Barkoulas, 1999. "Dynamic futures hedging in currency markets," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(4), pages 299-314.
- Nijman, T.E. & Roon, F.A. de & Veld, C.H., 1996.
"Pricing Term Structure Risk in Futures Markets,"
1996-78, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Baillie, Richard T. & P. Osterberg, William, 1997. "Central bank intervention and risk in the forward market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 483-497, November.
- Pan, Ming-Shiun & Chan, Kam C. & C.W. Fok, Robert, 1997. "Do currency futures prices follow random walks?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-15, January.
- Doroodian, K., 1999. "Does exchange rate volatility deter international trade in developing countries?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 465-474.
- Alexakis, Panayotis & Apergis, Nicholas, 1996. "ARCH effects and cointegration: Is the foreign exchange market efficient?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 687-697, May.
- Jaehun Chung & Yongmiao Hong, 2007. "Model-free evaluation of directional predictability in foreign exchange markets," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(5), pages 855-889.
- Geoffrey F. Loudon & Wing H. Watt & Pradeep K. Yadav, 2000. "An empirical analysis of alternative parametric ARCH models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(2), pages 117-136.
- Mougoue, Mbodja & Whyte, Ann Marie, 1996. "Stock returns and volatility: An empirical investigation of the German and French equity markets," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 253-263.
- Chihwa Kao, 2001. "Some New Approaches to Formulate and Estimate Friction-Bernoulli Jump Diffusion and Friction-GARCH," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 35, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- An-Sing Chen, 1997. "The square compass rose: the evidence from Taiwan," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 127-144, June.
- Chionis, Dionysios & MacDonald, Ronald, 1997. "Some tests of market microstructure hypotheses in the foreign exchange market," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 203-229, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.